Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

First Pickings

I decided to harvest my first new potatoes today. Grown in a black bag in the greenhouse were two "Epicure" first earlies. I had about a dozen conker sized new potatoes which were cooked with fresh garden mint while they were still squealing. A veritable taste of heaven.

Bit the bullet today and thinned out my parsnip seedlings. A variety called "Hollow Crown" the discarded plants looked strong and healthy. Also thinned out a few of my "Early Nantes" carrots which were sown in a large pot in the greenhouse back in January. So incredibly sweet and crisp. You could never buy such gourmet treats, anywhere!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>