Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Successional planting - The hungry gap

Have been planting some Autumn and winter seeds this week. Planted some golden turnip seeds, some perpetual spinach, some mini leeks and some mixed salad mixture.

Have also planted some endive, and some lettuce seed recently purchased in Northern Norway - so it should be fairly hardy !

I am trying a second crop of cucumber in the greenhouse. Last year at the chilli fiesta at West Dean, Chichester - I noticed that in September the first crop of cucumbers were practically spent and the plants dying down. They had some younger plants ready to take over - seems like a good idea for we tend to get longer Autumns going right up to November. Has anyone tried a second crop of cucumbers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>