Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 06, 2007

Make your own hormone rooting gel

Did you know you can save money and do your bit for the environment by making your own hormone rooting gel? All you have to do is pick a bunch of willow stems, put them in a glass or vase of water for about 24 hours.... that's it ! The active ingredient found in willow stems is rhizocaline, a substance which is the active ingredient in many proprietary ready-made hormone rooting powders and solutions. All you have to do is to dip your cuttings into this solution. I'm not sure how long you can keep it once made, but it is not difficult to make some more - and it's free!

Anyway, it's the start of the Easter bank holiday weekend. It is a long held garden tradition that potatoes are planted on Good Friday. I went out today in glorious sunshine and planted a row of Red Duke of York. Others already in the ground are Rocket and Epicure, and I have some early Rocket potatoes in a sack in the greenhouse which, just today are poking their first shoots above the surface. Today it was up to 70 degrees outside and looks set for the whole of the weekend. Yippeeee!

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Adrian Eyre said...

wow cool. good one

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>