Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 20, 2007

My Magic Broccoli

It is truly magic! About 3 weeks ago I decided that I had had the very best from my wonderful broccoli, and I completely stripped the plants of every single purple floret. I badly needed the space to plant my Spring veggies.

3 days later it was like I had never been there. All the plants were completely loaded with fresh new florets, and with help, we stripped the plant bare of what would surely be the last of this wonderful, wonderful gourmet treat.

2 days later, it's groundhog day.... and so on. I must pick about a pound of purple sprouting broccoli about every 2nd or 3rd day. Steamed broccoli, broccoli quiche, chilled stilton and broccoli soup, more steamed broccoli. Ladies and Gentlemen I am as regular as clockwork thank you very much. I really do need the space to plant my parsnips but it keeps coming. What a wonderful dilemma. Note to self.. all the months of hard work last year batting off caterpillars, butterflies, slugs, snails and puppydogs tails... it was all worth it.

5 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Frankie Baby said...

Truly magic! I'm loving the fruitful broccoli too. But I've been leaving quite a bit each time, maybe I should strip it right down too.

However, I'm running out of ways to cook it!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Hx said...

She's a witch, burn her!! Never happens in my garden !

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

I have one broccoli still producing and looking great, its underplanted with chives and its never been touched by the dreaded slugs, and the other one has had virually no leaves its entire life but still produces the occasional floret.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Ahh.. chives. That's a good idea. I was thinking of planting a row of chives by my carrots - I have plenty of spare so will note this for next years' brassicas. Good idea. Although strictly speaking "I do not do flowers..." I always sow a tray of Tagetes (marigold) for the same reason.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Alice said...

I just srtumbled on your blog Matron, but just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. Very interesting and informative. But most of all, you obviously enjoy your gardening. Happy gardening, Alice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>