Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Amazing tomatoes!

Just look at the lower truss on this tomato variety called 'Ildi' A couple have set fruit, I wonder whether the plant or its cane could support so many tomatoes! Let's wait and see. On the subject of tomatoes, a great tip from Bob Flowerdew on Gardeners' Question Time this week was to hang a banana skin up next to your green tomatoes and this produces a ripening hormone which will turn your tomatoes red faster. Apparently lots of commercial growers use this method to bring their crop forward. I have used this technique before in my fruit bowl at home, after having bought some goddam awful fruit that will not ripen. Let's give this a go.

All hail Saint Bob !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>