Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, June 11, 2007

A Fruitful day on the Allotment

One thing led to another today. You know how you just lose track of time when you are on the allotment. I had a fantastic day. I gave my thyme a severe hair cut today, as many herbaceous perennials have already put on a great deal of green growth this Spring. Now is the time to take advantage of the soft green growth that herbs make. Thyme is my favourite herb, and I grow lots of it amongs various veggies as an aromatic pest deterrent. After snipping and washing it it is now in my dehydrator for a few hours. A wonderful piece of equipment bought in the USA which has pride of place in the 'gadgetarium' at home.

I am rapidly running out of space, so I started to dig up another row of potatoes. I was thrilled with the results, the red ones are 'Red Duke of York' and the others are 'Rocket'. Awaits the taste test, but I have sadly eaten the last of my 'Epicure' new potatoes which, in my mind, can never be surpassed for flavour.

Finally the soft fruit is also starting to ripen, these loganberries have had a massive spurt of growth this year, having planted a new plant only 2 years ago. They fruit on last year's growth and there were 4 shoots which are producing fruit this year. At present there are 7 very strong green shoots for next year. Loganberries are quite sharp when raw, but make fantastic...well anything... when cooked. Coulis, fool, yoghurt, crumble, stewed, jam,.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>