Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Tomatillos

Further to my post of April 12th this year, here are my Tomatillo plants. From the picture on the previous post, you can see that they are green tomato shaped fruits inside a husk which is not unlike the paper husk you get round a physallis. These are more common in the USA, particularly where Mexican food is sold. Most often they are used in a green salsa with perhaps coriander, onion and chilli. Hard to describe the taste; they are not acid but a pleasant green vegetable flavour... I have seen them grown over here at the model vegetable garden at RHS Wisley. They do tolerably well in our climate, though they can do better with some protection. Here I have grown them up against a South facing wall. Has anyone grown tomatillo here?

4 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

i havent groqn them, look forward to seing how yours do, I have tried butternut squash with no sucess, I supect its too short a season here, i did have a succesful pumpkin last year.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger HeadBurro Antfarm said...

Not yet, but they may make next year's list as I love mexican food. I will watch with interest to see how they do in the warmer south.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger welsh girls allotment said...

They were grown in the greenhouse on Terry Waltons plot in the Rhondda for the Jeremy Vine show last year, as I remeber they took over the greenhouse but he wasn't keen on the taste !!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

bloody hell you have a big new fan club , what have I started ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>