Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, January 24, 2008

A blog for Robbie Burns

Tomorrow night 25th January is Burns night! Scottish people all over the world will be celebrating the birthday of the Scottish poet Robbie Burns. On Burns night one consumes haggis with 'bashed neeps and tatties' - that is mashed swede (Americans call them rutabagas?)and potatoes. I love the emphasis on the 'bashed' as my ideal mashed potato still contains lumps of potato, not creamy smooth. This supper is traditionally washed down with a dram or two of Whisky.
Just in case you don't already know, haggis is a meat dish containing lamb offal, oatmeal, fat, onions, salt, pepper, and spices. This is all bound together in natural casings, ie. stomach and intestine. In my mind Macsween make the finest haggis.

4 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

chiefton o' the puddin' race!
yum!

That's supper sorted for tomorrow – off to hunt down a haggis in the morning!

Celia

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger kate said...

As hard as I've tried, I have never been able to stomach Haggis. Luckily I can eat endless quantihties of 'bashed neeps and tatties' (or as we call them here, turnips and smashed potatoes.)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

MacSween also do a very nice vegetarian haggis which I can highly recommend!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger VP said...

We've been singing 'Call the Yowes' at choir in honour of the Man...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>