Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, February 11, 2008

Unusual Fruit & Veg

Such a wide range of fruit and veg offered for sale at my recent trip to Borough Market. I found these Australian finger limes for sale. Has anyone seen them before? Any Aussie blog readers out there know anything about them? I am amazed at the infinite variety in nature.
I mentioned in a previous blog that Borough Market is right next door to Southwark Cathedral. A lovely place to sit and have lunch whils admiring the gargoyles!

Many beautiful displays of fresh fruit, veg and fungi.
You don't see this quality at Sainsbury's or Tesco. All I miss is the convenience.

6 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Hi Matron
The Finger Lime is an Aussie native "Bush Tucker" plant. I haven't tried growing it yet.
Here are some links with more info:
From CSIRO
From New Crops

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Scarecrow - thank you for that, I read the links - really interesting.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Oops! I put my comment about yummy Aussie finger limes under your previous post - greenhouse.
Anyway we are growing a finger lime bush on the Adelaide plains, so shall let you know how they grow and if we get fruit.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Kate said...

How did you get finger limes there when I have never seen them for sale here, in South Australia?? Hello to Maggie and Scarecrow too!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger kate said...

Borough Market looks like a wonderful place ... It's great that you've got such a variety there.

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am an Aussie but had never heard of the finger limes. But upon googling it, I'm now well informed - delicious looking fruit. Here's a link I found:
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/bushfood/fingerlime.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>