Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, March 03, 2008

Living Pet Foods

Another much awaited arrival in the post today was from Seeds of Italy. They have started a range of Living Pet Foods, a selection of plants which are specially formulated to supplement the diet of a whole variety of pets. This mixture of seeds, (Lolium Perenne, Cicoria Spadona, Ordeum Vulgaris, Lattuga Batavia Parigi), is chosen to suit the natural and nutritional needs of dogs. The lolium and ordeum in particular aid normal digestion and intestinal function of the animal. I will now have to go and look up the common names of these varieties...

Lolium Perenne = Perennial Ryegrass
Cicoria Spadona = Sword Chicory
Ordeum Vulgaris = Barley
Lattuga Batavia = Lettuce

I have also read that dogs find Parsley and Aniseed beneficial to their digestion. I will plant up a little area and see if Buddy goes for it! Awaits the doggy taste test.

13 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger lilymarlene said...

What a wonderful idea. I'll have to get some and sow some flats with them and see if the dogs like them. If they do then I'll put some in the back garden permanently.
Thanks for the tip....!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger CanadianGardenJoy said...

This is nice to see !
Even though I am a cat person .. I think cat grass is so widely known that we don't think of what the dogs might like .. so great little piece here !
Joy

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

puppy seeds! what if they all germinated?

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I saw those in the catalogue and thought they looked really interesting (we don't have any pets except the chickens though).

Let us know how you get on!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

We had a dog with digestive problems and solved the problem with a raw food diet. They have some chicken meat and necks (not from pet shops but safe for human consumption) and a splash of olive oil in the morning and a fruit veggie whip(like a smoothie) with a big spoon of yoghurt. The idea is that if they ate a bird in the wild they would be eating predigested fruits and veggies from the birds intestines.
They are both really healthy now and I am sure it is the fresh veggies and parsley etc. The veggies must be pureed or they can't digest them. Some people laugh at what I feed them but it works. They have some rawhide chews a big raw marrow bone, corncakes or dried liver for treats.
This diet is better than what most children on this planet get!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Ohhhhhh, grow your own Catnip... how cool is that! I think I'll order some, it may stop them eating my other seedlings! ;)

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How unusual...this is new to me. Sounds an interesting idea.
Margaret and Noreen

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Maggie - that's a subject I'm studying at the moment, but whoever thought of calling it the 'BARF' bones and raw food - diet! yuk

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger fiona said...

what a brilliant thing to do! hope your doggy enjoys it :-)

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Yes I agree its a terrible name. The frozen patties they sell are expensive. I think fresh food is best and of course fresh food has enzymes which are essential for digestion for humans and dogs.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I agree that the name of the raw food diet is not well chosen. ;-) I've studied this subject too as I have many cats, as you know. They get fed raw meat (with supplements) and do very well on it.

I'm interested to know what Buddy thinks of the greens you bought for him so happy sowing and be sure to tell us!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

"I have also read that dogs find Parsley and Aniseed beneficial to their digestion. I will plant up a little area and see if Buddy goes for it! Awaits the doggy taste test.." Well our dogbot Sadie (2yrs + Eng Springer daily stops off on our lanes and snaffles some wild parsley. At first we thought we had her diet wrong but the local frogs tell us they find it quite normal so we've stopped worrying (p.s. friend of Stan)

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

My friend's dog (Jack Russell Terrier) loves my spearmint plants. Whenever she visits she will make a point of munching on the plants.
None of the three dogs have any interest in my parsley or lettuce plants though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>