Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Sunny Weekend

This afternoon in the garden my thermometer in the shade registered 82 degrees. I could hear thunder in the distance and the air was humid. I decided not to do the digging today, but decided to do some planting out. Above is one of the first glimpses of my gooseberry 'Invicta' just about marble sized at the moment. Such a short season, but a really sweet, ripe gooseberry has to be eaten to be believed - a real treat!
The herb garden was enjoying the baking hot sunshine today. I know that every time I tell you all that Matron does not do flowers... you can't eat flowers.. some bright spark pipes up to tell me that you can eat nasturtiums and chive flowers.. well here you are. Satisfied? I'm not eating them. I did however, enjoy a potato salad today with my home grown garlic chives - a superb subtle flavour, highly recommended.
The highlight of the day today for me had to be finding my first purple podded pea. So soon after those beautiful flowers (see below) had gone over, I found this little gem nestling under the leaves. Fantastic!
I set up my automatic greenhouse watering system today. This really saves a lot of hard work and panic during the hot Summer days. A clever little valve system at the bottom of each of these 'autopots' dripsjust a continuous stream of water below the pots. These tomatoes are really taking off now, most have trusses of flowers and the Sungold has a tiny fruit set already!
Here is one of my greenhouse cucumber 'Tiffany'. This is an F1 hybrid all female variety. I am going to plant a later crop in mid July/August to grow later in the season when this one has started to fade.

8 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I have been reading your blog for a few months now and this particular post about autopots has caught my eye as it is just what I'm looking for to water my tomatoes.

Please can you tell me where you purchased them from? I'm in the UK (essex) and this water system looks very good. I will be reading with interest on how it goes with your tomatoes and this system.
Regards Tracey.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Mrs Be said...

That automated tomato feeding system is very impressive. You seem about two months ahead of me in the veggie growing. Tsk. I really need a greenhouse.....

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

I want some gooseberry!!!!! : )

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Tracey - I bought it two years ago over the internet www.autopot.co.uk

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Gooseberry plants only £1 @ Wilco in the UK

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Mmmm I haven't tasted a gooseberry since childhood. I'll have to add them to my wish list. I've been enjoying egg salad sandwhiches made with my homegrown chives.

Had to laugh at your comment about your barrels smelling like sherry and wiskey. Between my barrels smelling like alcohol and the glowing grow lights in my basement for tomato seedlings I hope the police don't show up at my door!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

MMmmmmmmmm, gooseberries, mine are doing great too. Purple podded pea very pretty, me green with envy. ;-)
Hope you receive this comment as for some obscure reason I've been getting the unable to deliver this message thingy when I've been commenting on your blog lately.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Looking very productive there! We're off to a cold start. No pea blossoms in sight! I've been away for several days, but the tomatoes still look good. For the chive flowers, I rinse them well, and then simply snip the flower base, releasing the separate "floweretts." Then I mix them in with the salad. -Paula

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>