Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Growing Bananas in London

My banana plant has gone great guns this year. It was a Birthday prezzie back in April. This variety is Musa Basjoo or the Japanese banana. It is supposed to be one of the hardiest banana plants, and the root and stem will survive the British Winter if it is protected with a layer of straw or some other insulating material. This one is already about 7 foot tall. There are already about a dozen small shoots coming from the base of the plant.
It looks as if I shall have to cut off all these small shoots, but it seems a waste to throw them away. I will probably end up potting them up and giving them away or taking them to the church fete!!

7 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Chandramouli S said...

Wow! No matter how many banana trees I see, I always gawk at them. They're such a beautiful sight. We can't live without that here in India. Every part of it is used in cooking (except the leaves of course - even the leaves were used as plates to eat in olden days as it's nutritious)

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm about to get rid of a shrub and want to replace it with something exotic with big leaves. Perhaps your banana is the answer, it's about the right height. The site is sheltered - and I like bananas!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Beautiful photos...your plants look great! I have heard that Musa basjoo is able to tolerate winters even colder than London's. I think the main challenge is to prevent them from rotting.

I have 2 banana plants, and despite nursery people who have told me that they will die and freeze, they've been going strong for 3 years now.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Captain Tongo said...

Hey Matron,
Do you do Mail Order? I'd find a caring home for one of your Bananas.
The Captain.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Captain, I'd be delighted dear chap! Email me your details to Ahhmatron@aol.com

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Maddie said...

Oh nice! How many banana's do you normally get each year?
I might start growing banana's as well seeing as it's possible. (In England)

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Maddie - don't have this plant any more! this was nearly three years ago and they are not frost hardy in the UK. Just a large foliage plant here! No fruit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>