Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, November 14, 2008

The Original Pumpkin Pie

I was browsing through an old cookbook this week and came across a seasonal recipe for the original pumpkin pie. When the Pilgrim Fathers arrived in the New World and sat down together for a thanksgiving meal, the recipe they knew from the old world (over here!) was actually called 'Norfolk Million Pie'. The word Million was the original old English word for melon, marrow, pumpkin or any squash. The difference in this recipe was that the pastry case was spread with a layer of apricot jam or marmalade, and a handful of dried fruit, currants or sultanas was put into the pumpkin mixture. This was decorated with a pastry lattice top. So when my colonial cousins tuck into what they assume is the most American of American pies... it is actually from Norfolk, England! sorry guys!

7 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger VP said...

Tee hee - another bubble burst!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

That's fascintaing Matron. There are lots of East Anglian connections with New England. When we were there came upon Haverhill, named after the town that's a few miles up the road back home!

Celia

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Nate said...

I like the sound of the additions of apricot jam and dried fruit. And, really, I don't care where it originated, I just want it on the table for both Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Cheers,
Nate

http://slcveggies.blogspot.com

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As family historian (the first Hall in my family came to Massachusetts from Devon in the mid-1600's!) I deeply appreciate knowing this and will try this! It's the bits and pieces like this that add body and life to the early stories. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

LOL, but don't many British think of a curry as their national dish? ;-)

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Well, now you don't move somewhere new without taking along a little something from home, do you!

I look forward to the photos and the recipe when you are ready to share more - I've been sharing my pumpkins but now it is time to cooks some more.

Thanks for sharing!
Paula

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

That is a beautiful pumpkin and great picture (oh and your pie looks great too).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>