Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, February 19, 2009

First out of the starting blocks!

First tomato to germinate in my heated propagator was this one! Planted on 14th February and already 1cm tall. Just 5 days to germinate! 'Liberated' from the greenhouse at West Dean gardens last year.
An exciting find - I have quite a few seeds, from these early indications they seem fertile and full of life.... or should that be 'chi' ?

5 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Dan said...

It is great when seeds pop up really fast, I like instant gratification. It looks like a very nice tom.

I mailed off your tomato seeds today, Feb 19th. I included 12 Dixie Golden seed and 2 Pink Berkley Tie Dye that I received in a trade this year. Best of luck with them and let me know when they arrive. When I got home from the post office your seeds were sitting in my mailbox, that was really fast. Thank you very much for the broad beans, now I will have a little piece of English heritage.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Kath said...

My first tomatoes are up too. So many more to sow though - and I don't want to spend all Spring ferrying them from the dining table to the cold greenhouse and back. Trying to sit on my hands for a few weeks!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger tina said...

You have been very busy in the garden Matron! I was going to tell you Dan is another big tomato collector but I see he is here already. Won't be long now and that seedling will be bearing lots of fruit for you.

I think your Pa would be very proud of you. You did super fantastic on the tit birdhouses! I really like the blue of them and the sloped roof. Well you take care, and keep on that garden.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

You know (hangs head in shame) I don't grow toms! You hate already, right?! But I diffenatley get the same sense of pure joy when any seed develops. It truly is like magic and that is something there is so little of in these cynical times.

P.S. Thanks for the comment on my Blog. Allotmenteering Rocks!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Mmm...a real, ripe tomato. It looks so good in these artificial store-bought tomato winter days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>