Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Visit to Gipsy House

During the Summer the National Gardens Scheme allows public and private gardens to open for charity. You can visit the website at NGS or pick up a yellow book at your garden centre. This year for two more days only Gipsy House in Great Missenden, Bucks is open to the public by courtesy of Mrs Felicity Dahl. This was the home of the famous author Roald Dahl, you can visit his fantastic garden which includes a traditional gipsy caravan and of course, a little shed down the bottom of his garden where he always sat alone to write his books. Yes, of course he has a walled vegetable garden too! There is an exceptional plant nursery just across the road!
The gardens are open on Thursday 11th June and Wednesday 15th July between 2-5pm. A home made tea and refreshments can be found there too. I can highly recommend a visit and you might catch Matron mooching around on the 11th !

4 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger vuejardin said...

Very beautiful purple flower, are those lavender?

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

How quaint. I would love to visit such a place. Little far for a weekend jaunt though.

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

That would be great fun to prowl around the gardens. Unfortunately I am just a wee bit too far away for that.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Dan said...

What a beautiful building and landscape. I wish we had more of these older structures here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>