Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Tomato Library

It dawned on me the other day that I should take notes and photos of some of the tomato varieties I grow. This one is from a tomato which was from seed brought back from the Great Wall of China. I have swapped seeds from this variety, it certainly is prolific. This one is from seed taken from a greenhouse tomato purchased in Quebec, Canada. There is a genetic breeding programme in Canada for suitable glasshouse varieties. It has performed brilliantly under glass for me. I think the name is something like Den de l'or (French Canadian accent was hard to understand)
I'll definitely keep seed to grow this one again. The picture below is a tomato shape called Oxheart. I bought the seed in the Azores, it is called Coracao de bois. Has done fairly well under glass, it is a lighter pink colour. Not done well outdoors at all. Probably a paste/cooking tomato.
And finally, my beloved Sungold tomato. This is the earliest and sweetest tasting tomato for sure. It is an F1 hybrid and new seed has to be bought every year.
More varieties to come. These are the earliest greenhouse tomatoes. The others outdoors are still green.

8 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Beautiful tomatoes I hear raves about Sungolds everywhere. I think I'll have to grow them next year.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

That last tomato looks perfect! I started some tomatoes from seed this year, but I have a friend who gives me so many plants, that I don't need to start too many myself.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Corner Gardener Sue said...

They all look yummy. I have an orange oxheart that is juicy and good tasting.

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Yummy! I have seen the oxheart variety before and thought it looked interesting. Never grown it though. Is the flavor good?

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

What fun - you collect tomatoes! Is there a name for that? I love the last one, so beautiful and just wonderful because it isn't red at all and it's proud! Enjoy each and every one x

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Tash said...

Love your site and your tomatoes look fab.

I really admire your adventurous varieties.

Wow to tomatillos and Pineapple - you are the best Matron.

I spoke to a friend and I think the Canadian tomato is a Forme de Coeur but I dunno for sure.
I'm a bit depressed about having sprayed the tomatoes at the allotment with bordeaux mix as there is blight there. I'm not sure I should have now, your thoughts would be appreciated. Story on my blog.

Tash

http://lettuceandlove.blogspot.com/

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Toni said...

Hi Matron! Enjoyed reading about your tomatoes.

I would love to see a photo of your greenhouse! I'm dreaming of having one some day.... until then... I'll just enjoy your's!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Matron,
your tomatoes look mouth wateringly delicious!
waiting for mine to ripen but lots on so fingers crossed!
Jane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>