Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Yellow Squash Pie

About this time of year, gardeners can sometimes be at a loss to know what to do with a glut of courgettes or squash. Matron has in-laws from the Southern United States (Alabama) and it is a Southern favourite to make Yellow Squash Pie . These are yellow straightneck squash, but you could use any sort of yellow squash, courgette or pumpkin. I slice and cook the squash in the microwave so as not to add more water than necessary. For this 9" pie crust I used the two squash in the top left corner of the picture above. Feed them through a potato ricer, or mash them up. It is quite nice to leave a few lumps in the final pie.
I drained some of the excess moisture from the squash. To this add, 2 tablespoons sugar, one tablespoon flour, 2oz melted butter, juice of 1/2 lemon, vanilla essence, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons single cream, salt. (Some traditional recipes use shredded coconut, or essence but I did not.)
Spoon the sloppy mixture into a 9" pie crust and bake.
This is a close relative of the pumpkin pie. Best eaten warm or cold.
Changing subjects...

There's a frog in my hosta, dear readers, dear readers,
There's a frog in my hosta, dear readers... a frog!
Yet another clear signal that if you decide not to spray unwanted critters out of your garden, eventually mother nature will find a way to do it for you. Hopefully Jean-Luc here will rid me of the slugs and snails! Bon Apetite Jean-Luc!

11 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Dan said...

What a beautiful pie and frog! I will have to try the pie, it sounds interesting.

Question, when are the broad beans ready for seed harvest? Mine have grown rather large and there are bumps protruding were the beans are. They are still green though but the leaves are starting to go limp and icky looking.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

The pie does look interesting.

And that frog is so handsome. Did you give it a kiss to Thank it for helping you out at the plot?!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a yummy sounding pie recipe! I'm looking forward to trying it when (if!) our squash grows. Great blog, by the way, very informative and interesting. All the best, Michelle

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to that frog! I hope he serves you well and is well fed in the process :-)

 
At 3:13 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Pie looks yummy and the frog is charming! Never heard of using summer squash to make pie with. Learn something new every day. :D

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Yes! I agree - I may have to get some squash from the farmers market next weekend as I don't have that much. Love the frog. I have a pond full of the pacific tree frogs. I don't know when they will move out (maybe not at all due to the heat). An I was wondering myself how to know when to harvest the broad beans for eating. I only today noticed how much they had progressed recently.
Paula

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

That Pie recipe made my mouth water big time, but scrolling down the blog came the - although beautiful - perfect anti appetizer; the wonderful frog in a decorated salad plate!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That pie looks delicious!
I'm still waiting for a frog to show up in my pond.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Green Thumb - er yes, I see your point. Sorry to spoil your appetite (unless you were French that is!)

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

Why do frogs always seem to have a rather pissed off expression?.. As if you had just inconsiderately interrupted them doing something of vital national importance.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Greenmantle, if all you had to eat was slugs and snails you might wear a similar expression.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>