Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, September 21, 2009

Dog Beans

Well, here are my first crop of 'Dog Beans'. When I first read about these I just had to have some, and very kindly Gintoino at Jardim com Gatos was able to oblige with a few precious seeds this Spring. Fairly ordinary looking flat, dwarf (bush) bean with white flowers, quite prolific and a lovely taste.
Looking forward to a larger crop next year. Just another reminder to send me a photo of your canine gardening companions for my forthcoming Matron's Dogblog. Please email them to me by September 28th and I will include them in my post.
P.S. seem to have overcome the posting photos problem this morning, I had to tick a terms and agreement box for some reason...

5 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I look forward to blogger behaving itself. I love to see a new bean!

 
At 3:28 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Very pretty dry bean. I have not grown any dried beans for two years running now - so next year I am dedicating some space to grow some more. So this variety is a bush habit and not a half runner?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Kath said...

the Dog Bean looks not a million miles from the Soldier Bean I grow. A cream background with maroon markings but in this case, a soldier standing to attention! They are lovely in winter stews, very creamy and rich tasting.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not heard of them before - the podded beans look lovely, like sleeping dalmations!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

Glad to see they grew well for you. This year I just had no luck with them. Funny to see how their color went back to normal, after last year's beans being almost completely brown.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>