Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, September 28, 2009

September in the Garden!

These Sungold tomatoes have been a winner in the garden this year. I splashed out and bought a packet of seed this Spring, they were expensive being an F1 hybrid, but with hindsight worth every penny. They were the first to ripen, and it looks like they will be the longest lasting too. I think this will be the last climbing courgette Black Forest in the garden. When I went on holiday in August a large marrow grew on the plant which told the plant it was time to stop. With a little TLC I have coaxed it into a few more weeks of productivity!
These are the tomatoes which I 'liberated' last Autumn. I called them Great Wall of China, as the seed came from a tomato found growing there! Much better late in the season, a lovely little plum tomato, very prolific and full of flavour.
Oh Dear! it looks as if I have leek moth damage! I have never had leek moth before, but I suppose it is the arrival of warmer climate which has brought this awful pest! grrrr!
These are my wonderful Bulgarian Giant leeks which are growing great guns at the moment. Leek moth larvae go down into the white shaft of the leek and dig a labyrinth of tunnels in your leeks! Such a shame as it is about the only thing growing right through Winter and I rely on them!
I'll have to take some action now to try to avoid the problem getting too bad. Also this week, I have been playing tourist in my own town! Friday afternoon after a quick visit to Borough Market...
I climbed up the 311 steps up the spiral staircase of The Monument in the City of London.
The Monument was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and built between 1671 and 1677 to mark the place where the Great Fire of London started in 1666. It is the tallest free standing stone structure in the world! My legs were aching on Saturday morning!
This is the last reminder to get your photos to me for inclusion in Matron's Dogblog. I will be writing a post to celebrate our wonderful canine garden helpers! You won't be disappointed, the photos I have been sent already are amazing!

11 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the dreaded leek moth! I don't know anyone on our allotment site who hasn't lost their entire crop this year to this pest. I hope you manage to salvage them. Nic x

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Those liberated toms look lovely. Sad about the leeks, they are such a winter standby here too.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

If the Great Wall of China tom tastes as good as it looks then you definitely have a "keeper" there.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger miss m said...

I'll have to give Sungold a go, they look perfect.
Now, Matron, how am I supposed to indulge my leek fetish if yours get infested too ? Get on that asap ! I'm counting on you.
Lovely tour !

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Your market looks like a very nice place! Cool to grow the great wall of china seeds on too!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger tina said...

Fall in your garden is looking most good!

Looking forward to the dogblog posting too.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger tina said...

Do you want me to post a blurb about it on my blog? I can post it with a link to you tomorrow-when are you posting the dog blog? Will tomorrow work? Please email me. Thanks!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

For a second I thought that the first photograph is of Cape gooseberry or Physalis Peruviana. The Tomatoes look beautiful, wonder how they taste?
I have mailed the photograph of my Bruno for your DogBlog.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger ReapWhatYouGrow said...

I love Borough Market. Far too expensive, but a real treat for a foodie!

I know what you mean about tourist in your own town. I do this all the time. You will have done Columbia Road many times I'm sure?

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Great looking tomatoes. Don't know what I did wrong this year but mine came to nothing.

Have you ever grown a variety called First Born. Very large fruit with such a beautiful taste. I couldn't get any seed this year from Seeds By Size, the only place I have seen them advertised.

My goodness 311 steps! I have climbed the 199 up to Whitby Abbey a few times and that was more than enough. No wonder you were aching.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Matron said...

John, I haven't heard of first born. I might look out for them if I see them anywhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>