Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, October 26, 2009

Last Pickings!

This small helping will be savoured and appreciated like no other. These are the last pickings from the garden. Just a few sheltered tomatoes remain outside and now is the time to pick the last ones as we are having a bit of a frost most nights now. A late starter was the Dixie Golden Giant tomato and the Great Wall of China took their time to get going as well. Always a good idea to have some earlies and lates to eeek out the season. Sungold were the best, the earliest as well as the latest! Cream Sausage tomatoes were fun, and Chocolate Cherry are a must keep. Now all we have are horrible, insipid supermarket tomatoes until next June...sigh!

9 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

You are so right, unfortunately now we have supermarket tomatoes.
Thank you for introducing me to chocolate cherry, I am hoping to grow some next year.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron,
like you I 'rescued' my last batch of tomatoes at the weekend and have several trays of ripening fruits. I know exactly what you mean when you refer to insipid supermarket toms as there is nothing sweeter than a tomato straight off of the vine, yummy!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

You are lucky to have some toms to harvest so late in the year.Lots of colour and variety too,you are so right about the taste and the last ones will surely be the sweetest ones for that reason.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Dan said...

What a lovely bunch of tom's. Love those Dixie Golden's, I will definitely have to give them a try next year.

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hooray for Sungold! One of my plants was gigantic!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I like early and late toms too Matron. My fave late ones are Green Zebra - so flavourful. I'm lucky enough to have some still ripening in the greenhouse.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Dirt Princess said...

Oh no! Well enjoy your bounty while you can!!! Hopefully you will make it thru til next June ;-)

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Nutty Gnome said...

You've had a cracking crop this year - and inspired me to be a bit more adventurous in my choice of tomatoes for next year!
We've been on the shop bought for about 3 weeks now - sigh!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Who said tomatoes are round and red?! The variety there is stunning.

Mmmmm? think I'll have to grow Sungold next year - it gets such good reviews!

Celia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>