Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Quince Identification

Whilst out on a foraging expedition 'somewhere in England' recently I came across these fruit, just waiting to be picked. They are most certainly from the quince family, I was thinking that they were Japonica or Japanese quince? they appear to be round, apple shaped quince as opposed to pear shaped quince. I had a look on the internet last night and I'm not sure, there are lots of varieties. They are destined for the cooking pot, quince jelly, quince cheese and even a few slices to jazz up an apple pie. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to which variety these are? Update on the sloe gin... after just one day the colour is starting to come out of the sloes. Each day the bottles are gently agitated to help dissolve the sugar. The colour will gradually deepen to a dark cherry.... by about Christmas time... I think.
Now, hold on to your hats... I must make it clear once more, dear readers, that Matron does not do flowers - because you can't eat flowers. Having said that, I have been growing some ginger in pots in the greenhouse and I thought you might like to smell these! These ginger roots I brought back these ginger lillies from the island of Madeira a few years ago. The variety is Hedychium Gardnerianum for those that are interested. The perfume is just completely wonderful at the moment. The whole greenhouse is filled with a heady, tropical perfume! I just go in there for long periods and breathe deeply. Ahhhhh!
Well... ginger is edible, after all!

11 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger persephone said...

Lies! Just kidding, don't want to sound accusatory, but man, I had to research write an article on edible flowers:
http://www.ediblecommunities.com/memphis/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95:edible-flowers&catid=48:spring-09-issue&Itemid=82

I was surprised too by the variety and flavors of edible flowers because I am veggie/edible freak as well :)

*sigh* If only to be in England... the quince and ginger are beautiful! Are you sure the ginger you grow is the edible kind? I grow mine from the Asian market bin ones, and though they never flower as I pull them up in the fall/winter for eating.

Keep up the lovely work!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Kath said...

With your quinces and my walnuts we could surely make a lovely dish?

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Ahhh, until they perfect virtual smell on the internet, I'll just have to imagine that wonderful bouquet. So pretty too !
Nice haul of quince. I'm seriously thinking of getting one for the garden. Looks like a very versatile fruit.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Persephone - they are called ginger lilly, the roots have the same appearance and vaguely smell of ginger but they are not the edible kind.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Dan said...

That ginger bloom is amazing!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Your quince look like the ones on my quince bush which I figured was japonica from internet research last year.

You can see mine here.

We have really enjoy the quince jelly.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Matron! Your ginger reminded me of Hawaii. Ahhhhhhhh... Madeira reminded me of Madeira port. Ohhhh... You are a teaser!

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Shailaja said...

I came across quince jelly on a visit to Portugal some time back. I had tasted only guava jelly until then, which is a local delicacy where I live, which happens to be an erstwhile Portuguese colony. Compared to guava jelly, quince jelly was, well, ugh!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Your foraging expeditions seem no less than a Sherlock Homes kind of outing. I am looking at this fruit for the first time.
I have Hedychium Coronarium in my garden. So, I can very well feel the heavenly aroma pervading your Greenhouse.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

I am a master forager , you are just a person that appreciates my madness , just how excited can one person get over a berries and quinces in a field.

But let's keep it to ourselves otherwise this ravenous bunch of readers will magpie away all my/our natural harvest. :O)

It was a lovely day and we never did the obligatory feet shot for your blog.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
i was wondering if you had a recipe for quince & ginger jelly.
If yes , please could you pls post it to me eagazziuk@yahoo.co.uk

I am in italy, namely in tuscany and cannot find any nice recipe
Thanks a lot

Emilia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>