Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, December 04, 2009

Crown Prince Pumpkin


Here's one of my lovely Crown Prince pumpkins. What an amazing colour!

I always roast them in the oven, it tends to evaporate some of the water.

Blog readers will know that once every 5 weeks I get a half day off work, and I like to play 'tourist in my own town'. Today I took the train to the East side of London to have a look at the building works for the London 2012 Olympics site.

The roof of this stunning London Aquatics Centre is up already. This wonderful design by a female architect Zaha Hadid is supposed to be a 'wave shaped' roof. Am I alone in thinking that it looks like a Pringles potato crisp?

The main Olympic stadium is largely built now. I took the tube down to Stratford today, the main building site is in a triangle between Stratford, Hackney Wick and Pudding Mill Lane stations.

I am dreading the extra traffic in London during the Olympics. It is bad enough every day getting to work without an extra few million people! hmmm

9 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Karen said...

Well, maybe you will catch Olympic fever when the time draws closer. We have the winter games coming to Vancouver in a bit here and I am starting to get excited even though we're not actually heading up there!

Your pumpkin is stunning. Who would expect that such a mildly-colored skin would contain such glowing, fiery innards?!

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Nicole said...

That pumpkin looks yummy! The interior reminds me of our calabaza squash

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi Matron, as resident of an outer East London borough, my husband and I are thinking of renting our house out and going away for the Olympics. Given the traffic and train problems faced every day by "living" Londoners how will the road and rail cope. Love the Blue Prince Pumpkin, do you give your Pumpkins extra manure to grow in?
Marian (LondonUK)

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Darla said...

Your pumpkin and your half day off, impressive!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I love the idea of being a tourist at home!
Squashes are amazing aren't they?

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh great!! Andrew wants to grow Crown Prince next year, they look fabulous - yummy!
I really love the way you do touristy things in your own city. There's plently to see and do. I did a tourist bus round my home city (Belfast) 5 yrs ago I ended up quite upset - the Troubles are a tourist attraction!!? Didn't like that, the murals on both sides are very emotive to those of us who live here.

You have hit it on the head - a Pringle crisp, I knew it reminded me of something! x

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous mal's allotment said...

So do you drive off the water, Matron, what next? long term storage or preservation...?

Swimming Building:

Surely it's a 'quwaver'. At any rate it should be good for a dip?

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

It does kind of look like a pringle potato chip! LOL!

The pumpkin looks beautiful and thanks for the tour of the construction sites. Very interesting.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Hey! Your pumpkin looks awesome. My pumpkis failed this year. There was some sort of powdery looking mildewy stuff on the leaves of the young plant and the next thing I know they're crumpled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>