Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Anyone for Sparrow Pie?

Did that get your attention? read on.. Once every 5 weeks I get off work early and decide to play 'Tourist in my own Town' Today I visited the new Ministry of Food exhibition at the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth.During World War 2 the British were encouraged to 'Dig for Victory' and a whole Government Department was set up to win the war on the home front! This is the most amazing exhibition, it runs till January next year. Highly recommended, the best thing I've seen in a long time.
You can see some of the inspiring statements that were issued. Seem a little dated now....
So if you were short of food during the war...
why not try roasted hedgehog.. or sparrow pie? An old man next to me at the exhibition told me that as a boy during the war he remembered eating hedgehog!!
After this I popped down the road to the National Garden Museum at Lambeth Palace. A fine collection of historic gardening implements. This is a sweet pea seed counter!
Well worth a visit if you are in Central London! They have a special exhibition at the moment about self-sufficiency and growing your own food. 'The Good Life'

20 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Thanks for the tour, I love social history exhibits and what better ones than gardening and growing your own!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

One of the things I miss most from when I lived in London as a child is the abundance of museums covering just about every subject under the Sun.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

Fantastic! I love these posts of yours.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger miss m said...

This looks like a great exhibition ! (I read about it at nip it in the bud too).
Hedgehog, a delicacy ? I'll pass ! How could you anyway, they're much too cute !

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Medals well deserved for the women! Feeding stomachs is a huge task. happy gardening!

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I suppose I would eat anything if hungry enough :-) Love all those tools!

 
At 3:39 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I would be in heaven in both those exhibits. :D You are just a tad too far for a casual trip to come see them... but boy the temptation is sure there!

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, I knew this would be your next stop :o) wasn't it a great exhibition especially within the context of the other collections (I'd not been to the IWM before).

 
At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Karen said...

Wonder if they left the bones in? Crunch crunch.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Wow. Amazing history!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Jo said...

These look like two great exhibitions. I particularly fancy the one at the IWM, I might have to plan a trip to London this year. Roasted hedgehog and sparrow pie? I think I'll pass.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I love the tools. I can't imagine how you would use some of them though.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Bonnie Story said...

This is wonderful! Wish I could tag alongside. Good food for thought, pun intended! But really, an army travels on it's stomach and so do nations. Time to stay calm and carry on... Cheers, Bonnie

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

How interesting! Pity it wasn't on while we were there :-)

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

That looks like a great exhibition and glimpse at times gone by.

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Looks great, I love anything to do with history. Sparrow pie I'm not sure.......woodpigeon pie definitely, the pesky blighters!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

It sure looks like a exhibition I should visit. If I am down that way, I do plan to visit it. But right now, I do appreciate a glimpse into it. Thanks Matron.

PS Pleased that not many people eat the humble hedgehog and sparrow these days.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Kiyi Kiyi said...

What a fun idea - tourist in my own town!
Interesting gardening stuff. Thanks for the picture tour!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Hello, new commenter to your blog.

I'm looking forward to visiting the museum, I posted a couple of things on my blog last week about it as it was the 70th anniversary of Dig for Victory campaign, etc - a visual/audio tour and an old video from YouTube - both worth a look if it's an interest to you.

Off to take a tour of your blog now.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger kate smudges said...

I would have loved visiting the Museum. I would also enjoy having a sweet pea counter. At first, I thought it was some kind of grater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>