Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Pecking Order

I've been out clearing up more space for Spring plantings today. There were a few small Mussleburgh leeks which had overwintered extremely well. You may remember that last year I tried the Bulgarian Giant Leeks? I won't bother with those again, although spectacularly long, they had no taste at all and they were not hardy. At the first sign of frost they bent over and went soft. I tied up a couple of CDs in my plum tree this morning. This time last year a gang of blue tits came down and ate all the blossom and buds from this tree. I hope that a flash of sunlight from these danglers will keep them away.
Good Friday is the traditional day to plant your seed potatoes, but I managed a week early here. One row of Rocket first early, and half a row of Charlotte and Vitelotte (purple) potatoes.
We welcome two new additions to the family. DaVikka has purchased two new point of lay hens from Cotswold Chickens yesterday. This one is a hybrid Sussex Star hen.
The other one is a hybrid Black Star hen. You can see below that she has had the top of her comb pecked off a little. Some inevitable squabbles between the four ladies as the permanent residents Tikka and Korma sort out the pecking order in the hen coop.
These two lovelies are as yet un-named. Can any one make some suggestions that I might forward to DaVikka?

14 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

er...Jalfrezi and Dansak?? Sorry not great at naming animals, my goldfish I had as a kid were called Fred and Freda not very original! I didn't know Good Friday was potato day, I was planning on getting some spuds in next weekend so good timing.

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Those leeks are beautiful and certainly overwintered very well for you. The two new hens are beautiful. No names to suggest but I love the coloring on both of them.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Those leeks look good! Mine are quite small still, basically green onions size. I hope they get growing soon!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I would think Stella might be apt for a white star?
When I was looking for Black Rock hens I had some names up my sleeve - favourites were Dusk and Dimity - old fashioned word for twilight.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Jo said...

How about Bhuna and Madras? Your leeks have done well for you. Sadly mine were finished quite a while ago. I'm going to make sure that I plant more this year so that they will see me through winter.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, I like Charlotte potatoes as they seem reliable here and come out well. I also grow Picaso as they did well last year too.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

Surely "Maddy"(Madras) & "Vinny" (Vindaloo).........

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Nome said...

Beautiful birds! I'm so jealous - we have no space for chickens but I'd love to keep some. One day...

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Bonnie Story said...

Snowflake, and Mahogany?

Very pretty hens. I always liked lots of variety in my coop!

Cheers, Bonnie

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad I popped in today to find out that Good Friday is the traditional day to plant seed potatoes. I bought mine about a week ago, and have guiltily watched them ever since. I will now plant them on Friday with a clear conscience! (as long as it isn't raining as heavily as today...)

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger miss m said...

Against your recommendations, I'm giving Bulgarian Giants a try this year. Glad the Musselburghs are getting good reviews. I'm growing those too.

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Soilman said...

Interested to know what you think of the Vitelottes. I find them absolutely delicious (as well as wild to look at), but the yield is feeble.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Liz said...

Gosh - you've been busy! We've still got loads to do before we're ready to go for the season. Hopefully this weekend it will stop raining at least a bit of the time so we can go outside and get on with things!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Hen Solo & Princess Layer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>