Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Matron's Special 600th Post!

Has it really been 600 posts? - well the post counter on the dashboard says it has! I was contacted recently by someone from the Royal Horticultural Society and I was asked if I wanted to become involved in some activity to support their RHS biodiversity project. 2010 is the year of biodiversity so I was asked if I would run a competition on my blog.
So the RHS are offering you a wonderful prize of a one year membership, which entitles you and a friend free entry to any RHS garden! and this is what you have to do....
Just think about it for the moment, and I will post details of how to enter on Saturday May 1st, but I would like you to think about writing just 100 words on what YOU are doing in your garden to promote biodiversity. Matron doesn't want you to get overcome with doom and gloom, neither does she want a political rant. Just a nice, gentle, uplifting, innovative, clever, creative, inspiring 100 words. That's all! - Matron will choose the winner!
So, can you eat your bodyweight in maggots and larvae every day? can you?

13 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

No, I most likely can't eat my weight in larvae, but I sure do like those frogs! Snort.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

Where should we send the 100 words when written? What's the deadline?

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

That is so nice of them to offer a prize for you readers. And that the prize wasn't my body weight in maggots.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Robert - I will do a special competition post on 1st May, the 100words should go in the comments field. (I think I should now edit this post to give that date or things might get confusing!) thanks for reminding me.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

600 posts - gosh, congratulations!

Tell Buddy to have an extra biscuit to celebrate {gg}


(addendum - word ver. for this is Oliew .... I know you will "get it")

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

600 posts, wow, makes me want to see how many I have done now.
What a lovely opportunity for the blog giveaway too, will be thinking about this one.
Not sure about the maggots though ;-)

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger greenfumb said...

Hi Matron,
thanks for visiting my blog. What beautiful photos you have on your blog.
Greenfumb

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Congratulations on your 600th post. Yuck, the question should really be, why would I want to hear my own bodyweight in maggots? Urghhh. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. What a lovely picture of the little birdie though, who I'm sure would have no problem at all in eating his own bodyweight in maggots. What a fab prize for the competition.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Well done on reaching 600, posts that is. Great photo of the juvenile bird.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Just don't challenge me on my bodyweight in mashed potatoes. It must be my distant Irish blood!

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Lou Murray's Green World said...

Congratulations on reaching 600 posts. That's quite an accomplishment. Love the photo of the developing frog eggs. Very nice.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

That's a tonne of maggots so no defintely not! Congrats on 600 and what a great competition.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Marcia said...

Hi there, thanks for reading my blog, I am enjoying yours also !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>