Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, June 28, 2010

Seasonal Veggies

I love growing old heritage varieties of peas and beans...but Most of the old varieties don't give you a sweet, tender and prolific crop. This year I decided to grow Hurst Greenshaft peas and they are just starting to crop. Most of these pods have 10 or 11 peas inside. Sweet and tender!
Beautiful hot weather in London again today. Up in the 80's and these wonderful cirrus clouds were on show in my back garden. Every so often I like to visit the Cloud Appreciation Society website to look at their gallery.
These old pea and bean varieties have a beautiful show of flowers. This is a climbing bean variety called Mrs Fortunes. Look at these beautiful pink flowers.
The pumpkins and courgettes are enjoying the hot weather and the trailing varieties are growing about a foot a day at the moment. This is a variety of squash called Tromba D'Albegna - it should bend round when it is ripe to resemble a trombone!
And finally...... do we really need Brussels sprouts in the supermarket? Flown all the way from South Africa?.... in June?.. I think not. What about you?

7 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Definitely not! (and I say that even if i liked them!)

Home grown Pak Choi is ready for picking.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

On the same note I saw parsnips for sale in Sainsbury's this afternoon and pears on "seasons best" offers! It seems bonkers to me that they are even allowed to sell them.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

All looks well in your lottie :)
Brussels in June is just wrong, wrong!!!
I love looking at the cloud appreciation society, I have a friend who is a paid up member and very proud too!

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I did not know there was a cloud appreciation society other than when we sit on our deck and watch the clouds go skittering by - guess we are a lccal chapter and did not even know it!?

On the brussel sprouts - short answer - NO.

This business of trying to please our every whim and food interest as if we were kings and queens of old... is absurd, killing our planet, and wasting valuable and limited resources.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

And we don't need potatoes from Egypt either!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Matron,all of your veg is doing great, ours are a bit behind but our temps while warm for us are not nearly as high as London.
I have not seen BS on sale here but they would defintely be a NO!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Did you buy those sprouts Matron!

: ) I know your making a point, a fair one too and I totally agree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>