Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Making Medlar Jelly

I found a medlar tree a while back in the Summer, I have been looking forward to the opportunity of making medlar jelly for the first time. History has recorded that the medlar has been given the nickname of 'dogs bottom' because of the appearance of the flower end of the fruit!Medlars are an unusual fruit, the tree is related to a rose, and I suppose these might be described as looking rather like giant rosehips. The medlars have to be 'bletted' before they are ready to use. This means to over ripen, and even to soften with frost until the insides are soft and brown.
I just cut each one in half and covered a panful with some water and the juice and rind of a lemon. Acid is needed to help the pectin set. Bring to the boil until soft. I think I would describe the taste as sort of apple like, some vanilla, but some acid. Rather like tamarind taste. They are rich in pectin, so make an easy jelly.
Strained the cooked medlars through a jelly bag and left overnight to drain. One pound of sugar was added to one pint of medlar juice (just the same as crabapple jelly). It doesn't take much cooking at all. Matron has a strange sense of humour, so the jars were labelled as below!
What a glorious colour!

15 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Matron another stab at the unusual. I would love to see those jars of jelly selling at a Farmer's market just to see people's expressions when they read the labels!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I tried Medlars for the first time this year - bought just a few from a 'local food' stall.

I liked the flavour and pulpy texture, but they weren't popular with the OH! Wish I'd made jelly with them now. Maybe next year.

Celia

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learn something new from you all the time...had never heard of a fruit called medlars...the jelly is very mellow looking and I enjoyed your "dogs bottom jelly" label...*smile*

 
At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Eliza said...

Hahaha! Now I have to locate a medlar just so I can give people jars of "dog's bottom jelly" for Christmas! Although, if I had a dog with a bottom like that, it would never ever come inside the house. Your jam looks wonderful! Interesting how they have to ripen a lot like persimmons.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

so we can actually make our own jelly.... that definitely give kakdah ideas to try it out with other fruits...... cheers. ~bangchik

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

The campus where I took horticulture classes, had a Medlar tree. We all viewed it as a historical novelty. The fruit seemed so mushy and unappealing. I knew it had to be good for something! Maybe it will make a comeback!

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I would love to taste medlars, I must keep my eyes open for some. Had to laugh at your labels.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you hadn't told, I would have thought it was lovely honey. Something I've not heard before. Have a jelly-o time!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We have a small medlar tree in our garden - it only has a handful of medlars but last year there were enough to make a jar of jelly. Unfortunately we don't eat much jam or jelly so this year I decided to try and taste one raw after being bletted of course.

I'm not sure whether it had gone too far or not far enough but it wasn't a particularly pleasant taste. We bought the tree for it's decorative qualities as much as to provide fruit so maybe this is going to be its main use.

I have a whole page with photos of the flowers etc on my web aite if you are interested: growing medlars

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kath said...

That certainly is a fabulous colour - a bit like mulled wine.

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the labels, they would be great gifts for christmas,for that hard to buy for person.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Makes sense to sell it by its other name, I wonder how many people would buy it though? :)

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

ah hahaha - LOVE the name - perfect!! Oh you should diffenatley go to a farmers' market - what a giggle....
"hello madam, oh, i see you make your own beautiful jellies"
"yes.(says you)..would you like to taste my dog's bottom?"

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous nic@nipitinthebud said...

aha, now I'll know what to look for when I go foraging next year. Ace labels :o)

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Zoya said...

I have a couple of medlar trees here in Skopje (they are called mushmuli in Macedonian). the fruit is tasty and I made jelly and medlar tart this year - both delicious. You can see some photos on our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/SirmaMountVodnoHostel/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>