Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Life!

New life is showing down in the greenhouse! My fresh Bishop's Kiss chilli seed has germinated this week. It is in a heated propagator at the moment. It is good news to see the gardening year getting off to a start. Generally, it is much too soon to be sowing most of my seeds, but chillis and peppers need such a long growing season in our British climate that it can be beneficial to get them off to an early start as long as they have heat and sufficient light so as not to get spindly.
I sowed the Bedfordshire Champion onion seeds on 26th November, and they are doing quite well. Some of them I have pricked out into single modules already to try to get some early growth on them. This is how it is done for the show bench, but I have no such ambitions. I have not grown onions from seed before, so this will be interesting to compare to those that I have grown from sets.
In a couple of weeks' time I might sow a few early tomato seeds in the propagator. I don't think it achieves anything by planting too early. They always catch up in the end!

14 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Good to see your chillis are germinating. I have been nagging the other half to get power from the garage to my greenhouse for ages as I would love to get my seeds off to an earlier start. My Dad bless him always swore by his heated mat to start his toms off. Did some seed and compost ordering therapy today :)

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I'm going to get my peppers sown this weekend, I've held off as long as I can now. I've never grown onions from seed so I'll be interested to see how your's do compared to sets.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Rob said...

hi Matron, It's good to get things started just to kick start the new gardening year. I sowed a few Tomato seed last week just to get something going although it's as you say you don't gain anything in time. I will do as you say and get some peppers going as well. I also have a few lettuce growing which I plsn to bring on indoors for a early crop.

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

I've got a few chillies and peppers just starting to come through. Sitting on my hands a lot to resist sowing anything else at the moment!

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All your little plants and seedling are looking good...I'll be interested to see how your onions from seed do as compared with sets. I believe I may have tried seeds a long time ago but didn't have much success, so I used the sets thereafter.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Last year I sowed my chili seeds in April! (I bought them as an afterthought). The results matched the bad treatment they got.Did get several fruit and a late flush of flowers (rather like snowdrops) This year I have a heated propogator (thanks Santa) and I'm starting them in Feb. Only problem is I don't have a proper Greenhouse so will grow them as houseplants and take them outdoors in June maybe.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

It's good to see things starting to grow isn't it?

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Janet/Plantaliscious said...

Have succumbed to sowing some chillies, no germination yet, and slaking my appetite with sweet peas and perennials to stop me sowing tomatoes too early. Onions look lovely, must try some next year.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Will the onions grown from seed be for this years harvest? We are being forecast at least another month of wintry weather so seed sowing is being put on hold.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Peggy, yes they should be planted out later in the Spring and will harvest in the Summer.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Amy said...

So exciting to see the first little chilli plants appearing! I've just sown my seeds this week and am now waiting expectantly...

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I also start my peppers very early indoors and it works a treat. In the UK climate I think it's the only way. I also sowed some early tomatoes which are looking good but we'll see.

I figure if it is too early and nothing happens I simply re-sow a bit later.

Glad to see signs of spring - very uplifting.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

oh you are showing us up so badly!! though I have an allergy to onions so that's one excuse....as for everything else *blush*

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Sabera said...

Why are my onion seeds which have germinated.. tall and slim? Do I need to prick them out?
Advice welcome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>