Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Filling the Hungry Gap!

By all accounts I am lucky to have purple sprouting broccoli this year. The cold Winter seems to have devastated the commercial crops but a few of my early PSB 'Rudolph' have done quite well. This is one of the better shows, early pickings like this are tender and tasty. Leave them a few weeks more and they can become fibrous and chewy. I will certainly leave one of the plants to flower because the bees just adore PSB flowers! If you get a chance to let any of your brassicas go to flower then please do! You will encourage the bees to come and pollinate the rest of your patch.
My Bishop's Kiss chilli are continuing to grow nicely in the heated propagator in the greenhouse. They need such a long growing season they are one of the few things that has to be planted this early. I am probably going to plant a few tomato seeds next week.
Another little experiment in Matron's greenhouse is this first early new potato 'Rocket'. I planted it in a pot in the heated propagator a few weeks ago. I will keep re-potting it and I hope to have an early crop of new potatoes at Easter! Just about the time when the seed potatoes will be going in the ground outdoors! The traditional time to plant new potatoes according to the garden calendar is Good Friday!
Matron is off to the sunny island of Madeira for a couple of days sunshine and luxury. Baxoon!

11 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron
Wish I had a heated propagator :(
Have a lovely time away
Jane

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun in Madeira Matron!

Your plants are looking fantastic as usual!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Hi Matron,

I'm, experimenting with my new heated propagator too! You are nuts growing potatoes in one!!! (Can't wait to see how it turns out.)

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Ohhh loving the potato idea... another reason to add to my list of why I need a heated propogator... ;)

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous louise-spell.blogspot.com said...

Hi Matron I watch your blog every day to see what you will be into next. I have potatoes planted in a pot on my back porch but I am way down here in the south.
louisespell@live.com

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Matron,you are experimenting as usual,never one to rest on your laurels!I hope you have your first earlies for Easter, which is late this year and may be late to be planting the spuds?!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Your psb looks delicious, I'm very envious as mine got eaten by pigeons. Have a good trip.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous landscape_gardener_oxford said...

Yes it has been a hard winter but your purple sprouting broccoli has well and truly survived it looks great and so healthy

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger The Church Lane Plot said...

That PSB looks fantastic! Fingers crossed my batch will get to look like that...
Enjoy Madeira - such a beautiful part of the world :-)

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Greenside Up said...

Great psb! A couple of mine survived but look nowhere near as healthy as yours! (Must remember to give them a quick feed now). Last year they didn't produce until April, after the harsh winter.

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Jason Dingley said...

Purple broccoli, never seen that in the supermarket. I once grew purple carrots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>