Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, March 21, 2011

Growing Sugar Cane!

Matron loves to try growing new and exotic things on her patch! Well, I couldn't resist buying a length of sugar cane in the market and giving it a go!. I have heard that it is possible to grow sugar cane in a pot in a greenhouse here, so I looked up the cultivation instructions on the internet.
On this piece, at each joint there happens to be a little new shoot already. Cultivation instructions suggest cutting the cane into lengths which contain 2 or 3 shoots.
So I cut the cane with a saw, and soaked them in water for several hours. Apparently they are sown on their sides where the new shoots grow up vertically.
So I covered them in some seed compost with some vermiculite to ensure good drainage, and I have left them covered up in a heated propagator in the greenhouse. Watch this space.

20 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger D said...

I love growing the sugar cane and years ago got some starts in California and brought them back to the PNW. HOwever, I forgot to bring them in during the fall, so will have to try again. Good luck with yours.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Ooooh! Interesting! Good luck :-) I ache all over from my first day on my allotment today. Hasn't put me off though! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Fingers crossed !

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Wow, you beat me to it! Best of luck

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, I've wanted to give it a go ever since I found it in our local fruit & vege shop, but never known how to plant it. Always suspected to plant it on its side...

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Matron this is exciting...can't wait to see what you accomplish!
I must check and see if sugarcane will grow in my area of Florida!

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Good luck on that!!! Can't wait to see how they turn out :)

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

AWESOME!!! That looks like a lot of fun :) Keep us posted on how this goes!

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Good luck with the sugar cane...

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger miruku said...

So this is how we can grow sugar cane from. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

They will grow.... Over here we normally put cuttings straight in the ground.... of course bottom down, top up. Yellow sugar cane will be quite a sight in rows or single.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

That looks to be an interesting experiment Matron. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Hope it works. What will you do with it? I imagine you could just chomp it like sweeties.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

If it grows well it will be a challenge to process your own sugar!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Oh wow, never even thought of trying that... Will be interested to see how it turns out! :)

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, I am looking forward to seeing them grow.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Jean Campbell said...

It should give a tropical look to your plot. We don't grow sugar cane here, but sorghum syrup cane is grown and syrup made by people that I know.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

holy moly!!! Matron, that is so cool. I yelled this blog post out loud and woke Maggie - I was so excited. Please oh please let it work, I shall watch with interest :)
hugs (sorry it's been ages)

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

has it grown any yet ;P

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, just spotted this googling sugar cane seeds. did it grow? i live nth london and would love to have go.
teri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>