Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sugar Cane - Update

You might remember that on 21st March just 10 days ago I planted 3 short lengths of sugar cane which I had bought in Madeira. You can see that on the joints there are some little shoots. Well, look what's happened just 10 days later!
I wasn't dreaming that I would get any sort of result, let alone this quickly.
I placed this seed tray full of well drained compost in my heated seed propagator in the greenhouse! Exciting stuff! Watch this space!

7 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressive Matron...and definitely exciting! I'm now on sugar cane growth watch status! :)

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful idea I will try this, I see sugar cane often at my farmers market.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron,that is exciting to see!If it grows that quickly, how big will it get?!
Any photos of sugar cane I have seen they seem to be about 12 ft tall.

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Wow I was reading about someone growing rice the other day and now you're growing sugar cane, best of luck!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Oh wow! That's fab! Can't wait to see an update in a few weeks :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger cottage garden farmer said...

The sugar cane is intriguing, will you have enough height to accommodate it I wonder? Also interested to see your experiment with Rocket potato - I certainly found this to be the fastest maturing variety I have grown out in the garden though I never have success with container grown spuds - I think I don't pay enough attention to get a good crop. And how could anybody not love Leo? Gorgeous!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Looks like a fun experiment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>