Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Black Vegetable Garden

It has been a lovely weekend. My lovely four-legged garden helper Leo has been close at hand. Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth until your back is turned.
I suppose being a retriever means that you have to pick up everything and carry it somewhere else! Giving it a chew along the way goes without saying!
I've made some progress with my Buddy Morris Memorial Vegetable Patch this weekend. Here is one of the Shetland Black potatoes that I managed to get into the ground.
I managed to prick out and pot up some tomatoes. This Japanese Black Trifele tomato donated by Dan from his Urban Veg Garden is looking good. The leaves I think, are those of a 'potato leaved' tomato, quite different to others.
These black cherry tomatoes are so tasty, not just a novel thing to grow, but one of the best tasting tomatoes I have grown. Definitely a regular in the garden.
I received a kind donation of a rare Gloucester Black Kidney potato from Nic at Nip it in the Bud. Here starting off in a pot in the greenhouse until it is big enough to go outside.
Some wonderful Salford Black runner beans from Celia at Purple Podded Peas. These are so beautiful to look at and to touch!
Some wonderful Black Croatian climbing beans from Kath at Veg Heaven. I have just the spot for these growing up a trellis against my shed.
And another kind donation from Nic of a courgette 'Black Beauty'. Throughout the Summer and for years to come I will think of Buddy when I see these black veggies!

14 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how all these turn out, sounds like a wonderful idea to 'theme' some of your plot, very interesting..wishing you lots of success x

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger mrspao said...

Looks like you've had a good time in the garden. Your garden helper is very handsome.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger KatieLovesDogs said...

Ohhh, you're going to love the Japanese Trifele tomatoes. They are delicious and very productive.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi matron
What a lovely gesture for Buddy.
I too planted some Shetland Blacks spuds today!
Happy gardening
Jane

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

What an interesting collection you have there. Hope they all flourish!

 
At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Leo...retrieving is his job! Love all your "black" veggies for Buddy's memorial garden...and how great it is to have others sharing their "black" seeds with you! So it will be a doubly blessed garden!

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I have never even heard of so many things that came in black! I hope I can find some of them too..

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I'm sure you think of Buddy most of the time - not just when your Black Garden comes to fruition. Lovely idea though, a memorial garden. I have been given a few Highland Black potatoes which I really must shift me butt and get in this week.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Gingerbreadhouse7...re. Black seeds..if you type in Google 'Black vegetable seeds' you will have the choice of several seed companies offering black veg, from Aubergines,Tomatoes chillies and peppers.And its not too late to try most of them if you are quick. Hope this helps.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Oh I love this idea! A memorial garden with a purpose and I look forward to seeing the results as the summer progresses. Your picture of Leo carrying the trug made my heart melt. Bless him! Caro xx
P.S. Thank you so much for the Lazy Housewife beans, have potted them up and hope for success. x

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Oh wow! They are all going to look (and taste!) amazing! :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Janet/Plantaliscious said...

I love what you are doing here, and the choices sound lovely. I particularly like the sound of those black cherry tomatoes.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I LOVE LEO!!!!
We are going to plant our Salford Blacks from Celia tomorrow!! Aren't they the most goregous things? I love your blog - it makes me smile x

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron,it will be interesting to see all of those black veg growing and harvesting. Leo likes to make himself useful?!
Have a lovely Easter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>