Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Matron's Alternative Royal Wedding

Just a few suggestions which a Royal bride might like to consider in her Wedding bouquet? Have you ever seen a Medlar flower? Well you have now! Stunning aren't they?

Amazing white flowers, some as big as 2" across, with lush green foliage.

This year is going to be a glut of a year for strawberries if these flowers are anything to go by. I've never seen so many flowers on my strawberries in all the time I've had them!

Or perhaps a Royal bride might choose these stunning crimson flowered broad beans. Exotic and the most amazing colour.

Or have you seen brussels sprouts flowers before? The bees simply love them.

Or chive flowers? Just the thing for a little posy for a bridesmaid perhaps?

Or how about some purple podded peas? Whatever she chooses, they will be equal to these beauties! I wonder if there are any veggie florists out there? hmmmm a business opportunity perhaps?

16 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron,the flowers of the crimson flowered broad beans are beautiful, cant wait to see mine now! They are nearly ready to go out on the plot. You mentioned in a comment on my blog that the dog beans are bush beans?
Are they something like broad beans, do they need any staking and how high do they grow?

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Hazel said...

I will faint with envy if you tell me that your crimson broadies and purple podded peas are in flower at the mo!

I do agree wholeheartedly that the royal bride should include not only native British flowers (and those from the commonwealth perhaps?), but some edibles too.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

For a Matron who "doesn't do flowers", there's a lot of very attractive blooms in this post {sorry, couldn't resist!}

I have some fruit set on the strawberries which, this far north, is somewhat unexpected during April.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

She wouldn't choose any for fear they would outshine her beauty :o)...they are all so lovely...( I feel your soft spot :o)

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We think that the bride should carry pea flowers and strawberry blooms!!

Wyatt

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to see her bouquet include the Medlar Flower and the crimson flowered broad bean, both quite beautiful! And a definite enhancement to her beauty! I see now why you don't plant flower beds, you don't have to, you have enough flowering plants in your garden!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Nome said...

Beautiful! The insects are loving the flowers of my PSB right now - I'm trying to leave it as late as I can to clear the bed!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I think you couldn't go wrong with a natural spray of hawthorn blossoms - especially if you are married in May.

I occasionally do church flower arranging and we try to use home grown as much as possible. The air miles involved in floristry make your eyebrows shot up!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So many choices! What IS the bride going to carry?? I've not seen brocolli flowers ever.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

She should definitely consider those crimson fava bean flowers...very pretty.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Is your medlar on flower already - ours isn't even in leaf yet but the quince is on flower and that has a lovely flower too.

We have lots of strawberry flowers too and some have already set fruit.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

These are beautiful! I'm being treated to the strawberry and brussel sprout flowers myself at the mo but those pea and broad bean flowers are gooorgeous! Mel xx

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Jason Dingley said...

Flowers are so beautiful. I wonder why us humans find them so? I can understand why bees and other insects finding them attractive. I guess there is more to beauty than just a practical purpose.

Today I did a google image search for passion fruit flowers. Wow! Do it.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Janet/Plantaliscious said...

Those broad bean flowers are amazing - as is the Medlar. And the peas! Will have to grow some of those next year...

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some flowers from last years Salsify l have left in the garden. They are stunning but only come out when it is sunny. Will get some shots over the weekend. I hope! Love the peas & beans.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Great choices Matron, lovely flowers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>