Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 08, 2011

Matron's Weather Cock

Amazing blue sky over most of the country these past few days. Not a cloud in sight. Temperatures rising. But do you understand how warm it is if someone tells you it is "22"? I don't! Maybe it is a generation thing, but if someone tells me it is 80 degrees today then I know what they are talking about! So here's an easy way of calculating it. A simple rule of conversion from celsius to fahrenheit. Double it and add 28. So if someone told me it was 22 today in London 22+22=44 then +28 = 72degrees! Now you're talking!

10 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Your a girl after my own heart ..quick and to the point..and thanks for the lesson, I'm so old I had forgotten that one :o)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Sorry about that last one , I mean GUY after my heart:o)

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Matron...great tip...all I have to remember is double the Celcius degrees and add 28, I think I can do that! Thanks again!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, thanks for that I still have to convert kilometres into miles to know how far i am travelling!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Oh no! I don't "do" farenheit! Always sounds much too hot :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Temperatures rising? That's great - chase the cold away:)

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Rachael said...

I have an even easier way: anything above 20 degrees is 'quite hot', approaching 30 and it's 'too hot' :)

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Bev said...

I hate to be picky, but that's not quite right!

The correct formula (from celsius to fahrenheit) is double it, subtract a tenth of the answer and add 32.

i.e. 22C = 71.6F (not 72)
22+22 = 44
44-4.4 = 39.6
39.6+32 = 71.6 (not quite 72!)

You can check this with boiling & freezing points.

0C = 32F (your way would give 28F)
100C = 212F (your way would give 228F). Now that's hot!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Jelliebabe said...

I'm a converter too - but I add.. Guess it doesnt make a big difference and round nunbers are easier!

An easy poem for you

7, 14, 21
Winter, spring and summer sun

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Jelliebabe said...

sorry! that should have said add 30! whoops!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>