Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 23, 2011

Growing Turmeric

Blog readers will know that from time to time Matron likes to try growing something exotic. I have tried lemon grass, pineapple and sugar cane, and now I am seeing if I can grow turmeric.
Today in the post I received a gift from the DimSumGardener . This is fresh turmeric, a relative of ginger which is the yellow powder commonly used in Asian cooking. These little roots have quite a few good growing points so I am hopeful that they might grow for me under the right conditions.

A quick check on google for propagation tips, then I planted them in a pot of seed compost in a heated propagator loosely covered with a plastic bag to keep some of the moisture in. I am really looking forward to seeing these grow.

Another kind gift from a fellow blogger last year was these Colossal leek seeds. A heritage variety from the heritage seed library at garden organic. I am a bit late sowing these, but they should be big enough to go into the ground in the Summer.

Here is the latest update on my sugar cane. I repotted the shallow tray into a larger container this weekend. The roots had developed really well and were well and truly ready for potting on. Looking good!

I spent some time this weekend clearing out the greenhouse and potting up my indoor tomatoes. I think that tomatoes do better for me in large pots in the greenhouse rather than in a growbag or an automated watering system. Pots or ring cultures give the tomato much more room to grow.

In one growbag I have put 3 ring cultures on top so that these tomatoes have a bit more space. Both growbag and pots are placed in a plastic tray to catch spare water. These tomato plants have their first truss of flowers, so I am beginning to feed them with a diluted high potash feed to help the fruits develop nicely.

19 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Tumeric has alot of health benefits. I hope it grows! Your greenhouse does look really clean and tidy!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Great minds - and all that...

I was just thinking that a plastic tray under the pots would be a good idea - thanks for confirming the conclusions I'd come to.

You live and learn ;-)

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

As usual you are weeks ahead, Matron!

Galangal - Are you really putting all that root in in one pot! Isn't it one piece per pot? (Only asking as I'm never going to grow that or anything else requiring a tropical climate.)

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Nome said...

Oooh, never thought about growing turmeric before, will be interested to see how it goes!

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger africanaussie said...

I have just discovered your blog and amazed at what you are growing in England - tumeric! wow! we grow that here in the wet humid tropics of Australia, and then only in the wet season! - good luck! you must have very green thumbs :)

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger lotusleaf said...

Your tomato plants look healthy. Good luck with the turmeric!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Oooooh love the idea of growing spices like turmeric! Looking forward to seeing how it does, I'll have to try some myself if it goes well. :)

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I agree about growbags. Border soil or deep pots do better for me. I look forward to reading more about your turmeric.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Toms are looking great.

(Mr TK)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Never know what turmeric came from before. Are you going to have a go at drying and powdering?

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Another adventure in exotic gardening! I have been toying trying to start some ginger in a large pot.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Mal - I'll be happy if it just puts up shoots and starts growing. I'll pot them up if they do. BTW galangal is something different, it is more like a Thai ginger.
Sue - it is a lot like ginger so if I do manage to grow some I might just grate it fresh.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Dan said...

You always try cool things Matron! The indoor Tom's look excellent.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Lexa said...

Matron- You are such an adventurous gardener- I love it! I do adore tumeric in cooking. How facinating to see the roots that you have planted. I can't wait to watch and see what happens :)

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Can't wait to see how you get on with your turmeric! The sugar cane is looking fab and so are your tomatoes :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Jason Dingley said...

It is always great to see something new. I knew what the powder looked like but never knew it looked like ginger. Good luck with it!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Janet said...

Growing fresh turmeric? I wouldn't have thought you could. Keep us updated please.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Ingersoll Watches said...

Wow, I am so happy organic food growing receives so much attention. I for one live in a place where everyone grows organic vegetables by tradition. The truth is that we have organic and fertile fields that help us a lot in order to do that. we also have animals that help us enrich the soil - we use manure. Anyways, great job! I hope everyone will fallow your example.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger A&T said...

Interesting methods, thanks for sharing!!!
-agriculturalinformation4u

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>