Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, May 13, 2011

Growth Spurts!

Leo had his first hydrotherapy session today! Swimming will build up muscle around his joints to help with the arthritis. What a star! A canine physiotherapist showed him round the pool for the first circuit, then he discovered that tennis balls float!! He was like a torpedo after that, zooming up and down the pool like a shark! Fearless! my hero! He loved it - we are definitely going again. You can see some more photos of Leo's swim on Matron's Dogblog.

Anyway, back to the veggies. Gooseberries are developing nicely after all this lovely warm sunshine. I just hope I can keep those pesky sawflies at bay for long enough.


It is going to be a bumper year for strawberries this year. I've never seen so many, I have put down the straw to help keep them clean and dry. Out with the netting so that hungry blackbirds and labradors don't steal them.


Only a few days ago these were just flowers waiting to be pollinated. Again the bees have enjoyed this warm, sunny weather and they have done their job.


Pumpkins and squashes have been romping away. They really put on a growth spurt in the past couple of days. I am hardening them off outside during the days and they might be ready to plant out soon.

18 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Blimey! Have you got space for all those squashes?! Your plot will be like a jungle :-)))

Celia

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Celia - I must make a confession - I am a squashaholic!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We have strawberries and gooseberries setting well too. The gooseberries set so many fruits that some have already dropped off.

Some blackcurrants are actually turning colour

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

I ate my first ripe strawberry of the year today. More to come but that one was way ahead of the rest.

Hydrotherapy sounds fun.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, are we going to see you in the pool next time? Things are doing well in the garden for saying it's been so dry. I have mildew on one of my gooseberry bushes but the other one which is right next to it is fine - so far.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

You're going to have a fab supply of strawberries and gooseberries by the looks of things! Fab selection of squash plants too - perhaps I should be hardening off my pumpkins too? Mel xx

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Your strawbs (as usual) are ahead of ours but it's going to be a bumper year here too. Gooseberries are further on than I've ever know them at this time of the year.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Can you tell me what type of strawberries you're growing? The stems look very upright and are holding the fruit well. Mine are transplanted runners and don't look nearly so healthy!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Lexa said...

Matron, how wonderful that Leo has taken so well to his water therapy. I think that he does need a few strawberries as a reward :) I am very jealous of your warm Sunny Sprint. We are still cold and wet in Oregon with no end in sight.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Strawberry... I can only view. :)

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Jelliebabe said...

WOW - what and how many squash are you growing - I'm doing red kuri, spaghetti, hasta la pasta, jack be little, tromba D'albenga and a couple more but I cant remember!

What was he doing ,... doggy paddle! Bah Booom :o)

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Leo! Good swimming sweet Lab! Beautiful gooseberries, oh and look at all those strawberries and pumpkins and squash coming along! Observing you gardening is such a delight!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, we have had our first strawberries this week too but you did not mention slugs attacking yours!
You are further south than we are and have not had the winds which have been keeping the temps down over here so hopefully you will have bumper crops of everything!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger The Boy Ollerton said...

Likewise, some promising fruit crops. My first strawberry crop ever awaits on my plot, roll on!!! :)

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Go Leo! I'm not surprised that he's got his eyes on those strawberries, they are to die for Matron. What on earth is in the soil to produce such a crop....or is it just green thumbs?!

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Looks like Leo is having a blast! Veg & fruit are looking good :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I too am a squashaholic - let us stand together :)
I don't think we'll be having many gooseberries - blasted sawfly has destroyed all hopes of that!
And well done Leo - what a champ, Maggie is rather impressed by him - ooohhh :)

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

You've alot of great veg and the strawberries look fab. Hope you post the leek flowers when they open, looks like they will be quite a sight. Thanks for visiting my garden blog in Ireland, Kelli.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>