Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Soaking up the Rain

A combination of bright sunshine and heavy rain has really brought things on in the last week. These Croatian Black beans are climbing inches every day up the trellis on the garden shed.


These Epicure new potatoes have doubled in size in just a week. They are perfect just now. I always try to dig up new potatoes while they are still new. In a couple of weeks' time they will just be ordinary potatoes... not the same!


In the greenhouse these Pink Berkeley Tie Dye tomatoes are going nicely. They should ripen to a miriad of tomato colours. Very special tomatoes, I can't wait to see them ripen.


Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes have a different shape and habit altogether.


In fact, I've been having real problems when I nip out the side shoots on these Trifele tomatoes. They don't seem to grow in an upright cordon method like other tomatoes. This is probably because they are a Determinate tomato. They prefer to send shoots up wherever! I just have to choose a side shoot to grow!

The rain has certainly got through the hole in the black plastic to help these courgettes grow. The plastic has warmed up the soil and kept some of the weeds at bay. A good way to grow courgettes as long as they get enough water.

These Kent Blue Peas are ripening nicely. The flowers mature from pink and purple to a lovely blue. Peas are quite small but make excellent mangetout peas. Just as we are getting to the longest day here in the Northern hemisphere, just stop to take a look at your veggies. Almost immediately the days start to shorten, if only a minute at a time, your plants and flowers will start to store energy for the Winter. Within just a few days of the longest day, these will start to swell into Bedfordshire Champions! watch this space!

15 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Heavy rain? we have had some rain but nothing even almost approaching heavy. Even a mile or so away seems to have had more than us - we must be in a no go area for rain. Now I'll probably wish I hadn't said that later!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Kath said...

The latest rain has done so much good after a long dry spring and early summer. Your crops are coming on brilliantly Matron. I must dig a root of my early potatoes but I didn't get them in the ground as early as you.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

Everything looks wonderful especially those new potatoes. We are growing the Japanese Black Trifele this year to and will keep your thoughts in mind.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Your plants look great, Matron.
And you know I'll be watching. :)

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Its amazing how the cycle of the sun affects our garden. I have become much more interested in observing and understanding how the evolving day length and sun strength relates to the garden. Rain is another phenom that is interesting in that it's affect is greater than just the equivalent of irrigation water. I am not sure if it is true or not, but I was told once the reason that is, is that the falling rain captures nitrogen from the air as it drops to earth and essentially not only irrigates the garden with moisture but also gives a low dose fertilizing in the process. Might be something to that since I definitely have noticed that rain dramatically wakes up the garden far more than a similar amount of irrigating by me would do.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, the veg is looking good. The rain didn't really amount to very much here. I kept on looking at the weather forecast and seeing all the rain that was supposed to be around but apart from the odd show it seems to have passed us by.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

Must try the tie-die tomatoes.

They sound great.

Hope the pots tasted great!

Martin :)

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Those Kent Blue Peas are SO beautiful. I have slight pea-envy!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Everything looks great, I hope your saving seeds! I'm saving mine ...maybe I'll be able to trade some especially those Japanese Black Trifele < I've never heard of them.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Lots of rain in Northern Ireland. Your veg looks great!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Fab piccies! Can't wait to see those tomatoes :-) Thanks for the new potatoes tip and the advice you left me on my blog. Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger littlekarstar said...

Your garden is looking fantastic, interested in seeing those black tomatoes when they ripen, I haven't seen that type before.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Good to see the Tie Dye tomato is growing true to type! One never knows with home saved seed. I put a photo up of the salmon flowered peas you sent me tonight. They sure are a bright spot in the garden.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I love the idea of growing peas in a pot lacing up a trellis. Good way to utilize all the space you've got!
Excellent shot of the tomatoes, too!

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Such interesting tomato varieties, can't wait to see the end result.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>