Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, June 10, 2011

Tatties and Toms!

I dug some of my first Epicure new potatoes yesterday! You can see from the photo that the shape of these is quite distinctive. They also have quite deep eyes which to some supermarkets and commercial growers makes them unsuitable for general sale. Well shame on them! This is, in my opinion, the tastiest potato you can get.

An old variety, an Ayrshire potato described in the catalogues as 'floury' (I strongly disagree) when these are newly dug and just washed over you will never get a tastier potato! Add it to your list for next year.

These tomatoes are doing well in pots on a sunny patio. You can see here the difference between the two different types of leaves that tomatoes can show. On the left is the Potato Leaf type tomato, this variety is Japanese Black Trifele. On the right is the Regular Leaf type, this one is Black Cherry.

Potato Leaf

Regular Leaf.

11 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Those taters are looking good to me :o) They just need a little butter and spritz of salt and they are good to eat.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Tira said...

I love the taste of fresh grown potatoes! I am growing black cherry this year, its hasn't set much fruit but those I got were wow in taste.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Rob said...

When I read the title I thought you had ripe Tomatoes to show us, I was just about to slit my wrists lol! I don't mind you being a little bit in front of us but ripe Tomatoes now would have been too much! I followed your advice and got a couple of Kongs for Tess and Tommy. Tom says stop messing around and give me the cheese, Tess on the other hand loves getting things out of her kong.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Oh, potatoes... I am looking forward to digging mine out soon...

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron
can't wait for our spuds to be ready. Yours look great.
I've stuck to bog standard Gardeners Delight and Marzano this year as did not have too much success with tomatoes last year.
happy gardening
Jane

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Count me as another Epicure fan.

Sad to say I'm not growing them this year due to lack of space and experimentation with other varieties. It is also good at recovering from frost.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Thanks for the potato recommendation, Matron! :)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Those potatoes look fab! Had a sneaky peek at mine the other day but they're not quite ready yet! Mel xx

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

sharp's express potatoes are coming out of every orfice - good grief, we're giving them away!! Very yummy new potatoes but really, there is only so many you can eat! ;)

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Emma said...

Our potatoes this year were a bit of an afterthought. Weren't going to grow them but then got tempted in the garden centre! So they are going to be a little late. Little new pots also roast very well, throw a few garlic cloves in and they are yum!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger steve.dixon said...

Hi Matron,

Thanks for your comment on the Taff Housing Allotments page! You're quite right, we do not to get some photos up of our veg!

We've been pre-occuppied with getting a water source, making paths and fencing (to keep out mysterious, meddlesome visitors), so some photos of the veg are overdue!

We will rectify this matter with some photos soon, just for you!

Thanks for your support and keep up the good work on your blog - it's an inspiration.

Steve
Taff Housing Allotments
http://leckwithtap.wordpress.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>