Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, July 09, 2011

Plums!

Our plums are ripe at the moment. It has been a really great year for plums, plenty of large, sweet plums that are completely free of maggots this year. This year, I just didn't get around to setting a sticky plum moth trap in the tree, but it seems it didn't matter! These will be eaten quickly!

Just have a look at the effect that the shortening days have made to these onions. On 20th June they were straight, as above.

and as the plant senses that the days are getting shorter, they start to store energy for the Winter. These Bedfordshire Champion onions were planted as seeds on Boxing day!

The Bishops Kiss chillis are just starting to set. Lovely, big, healthy plants in the greenhouse.

These are a brand new variety of cucumber which I am growing in the greenhouse. Delizia cucumbers are new this year from Medwyns of Anglesey. A short, pale green cucumber which is closely related to a melon. I look forward to seeing these grow.

These Crimson Flowered Broad Beans are in full production at the moment. A brilliant crop without a single infestation of blackfly. As with the lack of maggots in the plums above, I wonder if the very cold Winter has knocked back a lot of the pests? I've not known a year like it.

20 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great pix! What colour do the Bishop's Kiss Peppers ripen to?

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Tanya - they ripen to red.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

I love Leo's smiley face, he is so handsome. Btw my bishops kiss plant is about 3 foot high, there are flowers but none have opened yet. Thanks again for the seeds. My black pearl chilli plant is fabulous will send you some seeds when I have harvested them

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I was thinking it was all looking wonderful. Wish you hadn't mentioned maggots. Even reading that word makes me feel slightly queasy. I obviously could never be a gardener. Might just stick to growing herbs :)

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Your garden looks great, Matron!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Congratulations... your chillies look very interesting to me...

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Kris said...

The long winter has certainly cut down on insect activity here, too. Unfortunately while I don't miss the asparagus & cuke & Jap beetles, I do miss the native bees, butterflies and even the milkweed beetles. Except for a good show of honeybees right now, the pollinator plants are rather bereft.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

Are your chilis early.... or are mine late?

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron
Look you, I have had no blackfly on my broad beans and they have cropped really well.
We have loads of apples and pears on the trees too.
What will you be doing with the plums?
Happy gardening
Jane

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I always have no problems of blackfly with the Crimson Flowered broad beans - they are a fantastic bean. I think they were lost to the craze for 'how many beans can you get in your pod'.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Our plum trees and gages are loaded too but the fruit isn't yet ripe.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Lots of broad beans here too ,the crimson flowered ones are just setting pods now!
We hav enot had any blackfly either (so far)!

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Soilman said...

It all looks so marvellously weed-free, Matron. Don't know how you do it. My onion bed is an embarrassment...

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Great looking crops. I enjoyed reading about your trip to Hampton Court. Kelli

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

My mouth is watering just looking at those Fava beans. The crimson variety doesn't seem to want to grow well in garden. Then gain, we always have a shortage of pollinators in the garden in May.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your produce makes my mouth water! Wonderful smells colors and oh how I want a taste :) I'm particularly liking the photo of the Broad Beans!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Wow - these are looking fab! I hope the daylength will have a similar effect on my onions :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

We had a good plum harvest this year too (it was the first). Unfortunately they didn't last long....everybody loves a perfectely ripe plum ;)

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Just look at Leo.. isn't he just so cute!!

I love the Bishops Kiss Chilli, never seen anything like it.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Cashandcarrots said...

re courgettes - you have the same problem with too many courgettes as us!
Have tried making them into chutney but they don't work as well as pumpkin.
We generally fry them up in olive oil with garlic and/or herbs/seasoning - or add them to stir fries or curries.

my page has a link to a book "What Can I do with All those Courgettes" if you need endless ideas!

http://cashandcarrots.blogspot.com/2011/07/allotment-report.html

take care
Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>