Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, October 21, 2011

A Taste of Autumn

Yesterday I went to the RHS Garden at Wisley, Surrey. The annual Taste of Autumn festival is on there until Sunday. A celebration of food and drink. My eye was caught by this interesting bottle of beer made by The Hogs Back Brewery in Surrey. If you like traditional ale, I can recommend a bottle of T.E.A. (Traditional English Ale). Sometimes I like to go up to a bartender in a pub and order a pint of tea!
Autumn is a time of vibrant colours in the garden.
A lovely display of pumpkins and squashes, but it has not been a good Summer here so this display was smaller than usual.
Free apple tasting so that you could try before you buy.
And something for the boys.. this lovely, vintage David Brown tractor.
And what English agricultural show would be complete without the 'guess the weight of the marrow'? I wouldn't have a clue.

11 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Shaheen said...

those chillies look fab strung up. Like you i too, would not have a clue of the weight of the marrow, but I'd know what I want to cook with it :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger lotusleaf said...

Fancy ordering 'tea' in a pub! The chillies have such a fiery colour.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

Yes, very much like the tractor!

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T.E.A. sounds lovely, beautiful hanging peppers (in the Southwest hanging strings of peppers and garlic are called Ristras), but even with a smaller harvest still a lovely display of pumpkins and squash, nice that one can sample the apples before buying, the tractor looks a lot like the Farmall Cub tractor we had when I was a kid (the first really independent thing I ever did was drive the tractor...oh the excitement), and the marrow...I was never very good at guessing the weight of things or how many beans were in a jar :-) Enjoyed your post Matron!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

Ooh that looks fun - I'm planning a visit there next week but I expect it will be over by then.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Great pics! I love the feel of Autumn but don't like a bare greenhouse :-(
Jane

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Greenside Up said...

It looks great there... it's only when I see pics like that feel a pang of homesickness!

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Allotment Blogger said...

Those pumpkins do look good, given what a tough year it's been for all the cucurbits. Nice tractor too!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Beautiful colors...

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Looks like a fun place! The beer sounds good :)

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Compost Bins said...

That's an impressive marrow! I wonder if many of those pumpkins became jack o'lanterns ready for halloween yesterday ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>