Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 13, 2011

What I did with my chillis

I snipped the end of these Bishop's Kiss Chillis so that air could circulate inside and out and I put them in my dehydrator for just a day or so.
Now completely dry they could be preserved somehow.
So this first batch ended up in the food processor to make chilli flakes. I think I might sew the next batch together to make a Christmas decoration!

11 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Wow! So bright and fresh looking. What a neat gift.

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely!

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

They sure look beautiful all in that jar..enough to last a while.they are pretty peppers to string too..I would and hang them up in my kitchen (where I have fake green ones hanging now :o)

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Right colour and spice for X'mas!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

A great idea. You'll have lots of spice to take you thru the Winter. P.S. Chillis are fab in desserts like brownies or hot chocolate!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Jo said...

A great way to preserve them. I'm sure the next batch will look very seasonal strung together.

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

What a useful gadget, would you mind me asking where you got the dehydrator from and the cost. I have so many chilli this year and I still have last years that I strung up and dried, they look so pretty hanging around my kitchen and I do use them as well.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Maureen - we bought our dehydrator years ago in the USA, I think it was Wal Mart! You can do a google search, they are available in the UK.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

The sun has done a great job of dehydrating ours but I was going to just leave them whole and store. Then I saw your post and thought..WHY keep them whole? I would much rather have them blitzed and then ready to use in a container by teaspoon or shaken over a pizza. Thanks...sometimes one doesn't make the jump..embarrassing to admit ;-(

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

Matron thanks for the info I will google it.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Fab idea for christmas decorations! They're really pretty :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>