Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, August 27, 2012

Size Matters

 Under normal circumstances I choose fruit and vegetable varieties for their taste, and taste alone. This year I decided to grow a giant pumpkin, so I paid out for some Paton Twins Giant pumpkin seeds to see if I could grow a monster.
Well, here is the latest update! Just 3 weeks ago on 6th August it was just half an inch across! Look at it now. I can almost see it growing right before my own eyes. How I am going to lift it to weigh it, or even get it harvested is going to be impossible. Even now I am unable to lift it!!

5 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

That pumpkin is huge so far. I'm sure you will be able to make several pies and soups.
I think you are on your way to winning a blue ribbon at a fair/market festival.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good. Don't forget to "water" it with beer, I hear that helps. Never tried it personally.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Holy moly that is one impressive veg! Sometimes size does truly matter ;) I hope it tastes nice too, though maybe you will have to cut it up on site and bbq it at the plot!

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous parabellum said...

Jesus look at the size of that thing. :D We had one off a friends plot and is was no where near that size. Tasted great in pumpkin soup tho.

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Adrian - Outdoor Furniture Centre said...

I must admit to hearing about 'watering' with beer - CAMRA would be up in arms!


I've tried more than once to growing even the most basic of vegetables/fruit - it didn't turn out good. Yours however, are mightily impressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>