Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, September 28, 2012

Matron and the Beanstalk!

 I love to grow a few of the lesser known varieties, and I'm passionate about keeping some of the heritage varieties alive and well. These lovely red and white beauties are 'Dog Beans'.  I really couldn't resist getting a few of these!
 Here are my 'Lazy Housewife' beans.  These are just amazing! a really good grower, quite prolific and tasty too.  I thought these would show better on a black background, so no apologies for the plug as |I had to use one of my leaflets!!
 And here are some 'Negritos' thought to be related to the small cuban black bean, these are the sort of small black beans you would mix with rice for a staple meal in Hispanic countries.
Negritos grow as small bush beans, quite short green pods, ripening to dark red.

7 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

These are fantastic looking beans! Love the black backing. Are you selling these perchance? The negrito beans look very interesting and the dog beans are a wonderful colour.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I understand the reasoning behind the black and dog references but lazy housewife? Surely not:)

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Caro said...

You kindly sent me some Lazy Housewife beans last year (thank you) but the plants were blasted by early storms. I found one last bean this year and have nurtured the plant on my balcony to make sure that it was protected from the weather - and now have a couple of dozen dried beans to grow next year! I like the look of those Negritos beans and the Dog beans are stunning! Are you growing those next year? It will be interesting to see what the pods look like.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger kitsapFG said...

I have quite a few seed pods drying on the vine at the moment. Have two varieties I want to save seed from and the weather has been dry and mild this fall making it a possibility to do so. Love the dog beans with the "Black Dog" label next to it. :D

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I tend to grow the more well known bean varieties. Perhaps I should have a go at Lazy housewife, it sounds like me! I've only just started harvesting beans this year, the earlier sowings were all devoured by slugs.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Dim Sum Gardener - not selling, but you are very welcome to some I would love to share. email me.
Caro - I like to keep the heritage seed viable so I re-plant every few years. I have so many varieties I don't know what I'm growing next year yet.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Natalie Cleary said...

Such different varieties. Enjoy growing them. Can't wait to see what the dog beans look like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>