Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, November 05, 2012

All Change!

 I splashed out on some brand new rasberry canes this week!  My last raspberry patch was just getting less productive every year, so after 6 years I decided to dig them all up and start again.  A lovely selection of canes recommended by the RHS are Tulameen - a large Summer fruiting variety with the most amazing taste. Tadmor, an Autumn fruiting variety. Erica is an interesting new variety, says it is mainly Autumn fruiting, but if you leave the canes till the following Spring they will fruit on those as well!  I will have to figure out when to prune them, but they sound interesting.
 I thought I would try some mycorhizal fungi to help the root systems develop.  A beneficial fungi for the soil which enables excellent root development and uptake of nutrients from the soil.
 So a spoonful in each planting hole making sure it comes into direct contact with the roots.  Has anyone used this? Does it work?
So an extra helping of compost, well rotted manure and a good watering in and these should be happy.

2 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Wish we could grow raspberries here...I love them.

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous patrick said...

There's always something exciting about a fresh start in the garden. Do believe judicious pruning can help keep up yields of older less productive plants. Just a thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>