Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, February 09, 2013

A Splash of Colour!

 Matron's plot has been under water for at least the last 6 weeks. On my heavy London clay there is absolutely nothing to do out on the allotment.  So I thought I would bring you a splash of colour from markets I have visited around the world.
 How about these wonderful apples in the old market halls in Quebec, Canada. An amazing range of fresh fruit and veg grown locally on the Iles of Orleans where it has a warmer climate.
 Or how about the stunning English Market in Cork, Ireland.  Many happy memories from a trip there a couple of years ago.
 And how can I forget these fresh picked Porcini mushrooms at the fresh market in Rome, Italy.  Just a 5 minute walk from my hotel in the centre of Rome I was completely fixed up for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  
 Or the Rialto Market in Venice, Italy. One of my favourites.  
 Then there were the locally grown pineapples in the Ponta Delgada market on the Island of Sao Miguel in the Azores.  If you love fresh fruit, these just picked were superb.
And of course the Mercado dos Lavradores in Funchal, Madeira.  My favourite market I think. Wonderful tropical treats all freshly picked.  
Where is your favourite market?

7 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I once visited the fruit and veg market in Mumbai. Fascinating, but pandemonium!
Maybe in the light of the horsemeat scandal our own markets may begin to thrive a bit more...

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Hope your soil dries out soon, so that you can get started on your spring plantings.
I enjoyed all the photos of the various worldwide markets....beautiful. Fresh fruit and produce is always best.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Great pics. You just can't beat a good market, there's something special about the colours, smells and sights, but most of all the human exchanges going on all around. They are full of life, but also alive in and of themselves.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

Yeah, London soil (I mean clay) holds way too much water at times. http://martin-way-plot30.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/its-little-damp.html

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Wow, looks so colourful and healthy.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yikes, hope the water goes down soon! I loved shopping in Nakasero market, Kampala, when we lived there. Lively, colourful, and some great Veg!

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just come across your blog, great pictures. I'm sorry your plot is under water, it has been so wet for so long. Let's hope it dries soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>