Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, February 25, 2013

Making Progress

 The allotment is gradually drying out, it hasn't rained for a week or so and the flood water is going down now.  A couple of bright Spring days last week has started things growing. This rhubarb looks like it is ready to get going.  I have given it several inches of manure mulch just to feed this greedy plant.
 Despite a sustained pigeon attack earlier in the Winter, my purple sprouting broccoli is starting to show its colours.  Even though the plants had lost many of their leaves in Winter, new green shoots and tremendous growth will soon start as Spring warms them up again.  The netting stays on for the time being.
 All crab apples have now gone, a welcome feed for a flock of fieldfares that visited during the snow.
 I did get out this week to clear up and cut back last years' growth on these Loganberries.  These new shoots will produce fruit this year.  I will tie them back to the wall and give them a mulch.
My newly planted raspberry canes are showing signs of life.  These new Tulameen raspberries came highly recommended.  I have given these raspberries a deep mulch covering too. Now all we need is sunshine and warmth.

13 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

I had the same problem with my PSB but got to it just before the pigeons got the the heads. Your rhubarb is looking good :-)

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

The state of my garden just now is almost exactly the same as yours - though my rhubarb would love to have the few inches of manure mulch that you gave yours!
Let's hope it won't be long before we can get out and sow a few seeds.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger mrspao said...

Well done on your rhubarb. I fear that mine is completely dead now :( I've not had much luck but I shall enjoy seeing yours vicariously

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

Your rhubarb is coming on well. Mine's still at the 'bulging bud in the ground' stage. Maybe I should stick a pot over it to warm it up a bit? I'm waiting to see if a raspberry cane I bought in Nov shows any signs of still being alive (that'll be 10p wasted if not...)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

Great to see the flood water has gone.

It is great to see signs of life on the plot. I'm just itching to get going again :)

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

So glad to hear that the rain has subsided and that your garden has dried out a bit.
With all the signs of life on your plantings, you should be enjoying a healthy harvest later on in the year.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

our rhubarb has gone nuts this year - yay! I must take more photos. And your PSB - fabulous! Way ahead of ours.
Tulameen is a great raspberry - i foresee happy times ahead for you xx

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your rhubarb looks ahead of mine. I'm looking forward to harvesting fresh rhubarb.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

I see you have a nice rhubarb on your allotment :) It looks very green and fleshy!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Nice rhubarb...

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Your Rhubarb looks great!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I always think Rhubarb is a great encouragement that winter might be nearly over - thanks for sharing yours!

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Eliza @ Appalachian Feet said...

I am so jealous of the rhubarb. I can grow some if I place it JUST right, but it hates our heat. Yours is so pretty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>