Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Key Limes

It is probable that most people have now heard of a Key Lime Pie, but I wonder if many outside the Southern United States have any further knowledge of the subject?  Well I did purchase a couple of pounds of fresh Key Limes while in Texas this last week.  If you take a peek at theUK DEFRA website under 'personal imports' you can see exactly which fresh fruit and vegetables you can bring back to the UK from any country in the world.
Key Limes are a different variety from the more common Persian Lime.  Key Limes are smaller, rounder and contain more seeds. The flavour is much stronger, thinner skins and have a higher acidity.  They are also known as the West Indian Lime, Omani Lime or Mexican Lime.  A Native to Southeast Asia, these are just irresistible to the discerning cook, gourmet or hungry traveller.

Really simple to make too. The base is just a digestive biscuit crumb base.  Make the filling by whisking 3 egg yolks with 14oz sweetened condensed milk.  Whisk in 5oz lime juice and 1 tablespoon of finely grated lime zest.  Pour this into the biscuit crumb base.  Cook for 20 minutes at Gas #4 and leave to cool completely.  Eat.  Or if you can really be bothered, decorate it then eat it!

6 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely photo...this was one of Don's favorite pies (after coconut cream)!!!

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Matron that Key Lime Pie looks delicious, I might have have to give it a go! I don't have Key limes, plenty of Rangpur limes though. I wonder if I can buy a Key lime plant here in NZ? Will check it out...

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Key limes are the only kind of limes we have here.
We use them for everything...seasoning fish/meats, drinks, pies and the list goes on and on.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

Oh.. it looks so delicious! I'd like to have a bite! :)

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

Oh, It looks so delicious! I'd like to have a bite! :)

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Sorry to the last 3 commenters, I pressed delete instead of publish. Peggy, yes you can use ordinary lime juice and zest. Almost the same taste.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>