Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pot Leeks

Most Allotment growers will tell you that the month of March is the leanest time for harvesting anything edible on the allotment.  My one true stalwart this year has to be my Pot Leeks, this variety Cairngorm was available as seed last year.   I am really very pleased with these Cairngorm Pot Leeks.  Even after several weeks of snow and freezing conditions, they are nice and firm, no frost damage, not soft, and the most important thing of all is they taste wonderful!  I've tried several different varieties of leeks over the past years, some better than others.  These are wonderful!

7 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been trying to decide which variety I should go for and you have just made my choice easier.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Sounds like the perfect veg!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

The trusty leek, I will look for this variety as it looks great. I salvaged
what was left on our 'old' plot but they were not nearly as good as your specimen, it would take about 4 to stir fry a portion for one.I've been reading down your posts and shocked to see you had quite severe flooding, it will be a while before you can start digging but the rhubarb seems to be thriving!

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Red Maple Tree said...

What kinds of vegetable is this? Is this radish?

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

Looks fantastic!!

Martin :)

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I always forget to sow leeks and yet it's a vegetable I love, especially small ones. It's a question of fitting it all in (I've just made an asparagus bed) but I'm gradually seeing some potential in unloved corners of the community garden so perhaps, next winter ...

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh that's a big old leek :) But honestly I love your ruler the most, I'm a stationery geek xxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>