Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Beauregard Sweet Potatoes

 This female squash flower has been sitting closed for a few days now, but this morning it was wide open waiting to be pollinated.  Just to be sure I took a male flower with wide open petals and started to hand pollinate the female flower.  Just as I dipped the male flower with its pollen down into the bottom of the flower trumpet... I felt a buzzing sound from inside the flower... a bee had beat me to it!
 Meanwhile inside the greenhouse this Beefmaster tomato is doing well.  I have some lovely specimens outside too.
 Cucumbers inside the greenhouse are loving the heat too. Don't forget, if you don't want to pick a whole cucumber you can just cut the bottom half of the cucumber and leave the rest on the stem for a couple of days!
 One spectacular success story of this heatwave are my Beauregard sweet potato plants.  I planted two in the top of this black plastic dustbin and they have just gone crazy! The instructions state that they prefer to grow under cover in our climate but can do well in a warm Summer.
They love the heat, and particularly good as the heat is retained by this black plastic bin. They are sending out long shoots all over the place!  Really looking forward to harvesting these in September or October.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

The sweet potato is loving the heatwave, interesting bit about leaving half the cucumber on the plant!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Great tip about cutting half a cucumber. I didn't know that.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Natalie Cleary said...

Second the comment on the cucumber idea. Didn't know you could do that. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>