Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Eating Colours

 Everything is full steam ahead down on my allotment. No excuse not to get my 5 a day at the moment. Those lovely Blauhilde purple climbing beans are just going crazy at the moment.
 These lovely little squashes are now beginning to identify themselves.  They were a gift from my Blogfather Stan.  These do look like Yellow Scallop squash! Yum!
 I am really looking forward to trying these Delica squash from Seeds of Italy.  An early F1 climbing squash that grow to about 2lbs each. I always grow for flavour and it sounds as if this is the bees knees!
 Now can someone please help me?  I would like to give these squash some extra support as they are grown up a trellis.  Any suggestions? shall I try to tie a raffia basket? old stockings? an old bra?  what would work best?
Good news about my Purple Tomatillos.  Growing really well in this heat, and because I now understand that they need several plants with which to pollinate, it looks as if it has worked this year. Stand by for some more colour!

6 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

oh oh...I grew Delicata this year to and did not realize they should be trellised. That makes more sense as the plants are monsters! Matron..why didn't you tell me earlier ;-) Delicata are supposed to be wonderful.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

opps..is it Delica or Delicata?

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Gardeningbren - no this is definitely Delica, on the Seeds of Italy website. I have also grown 'Delicata' a small cream coloured squash with green flecks, rugby ball shaped. One of my best ever.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

Great veggies!

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Looking so good! Enjoy each and every mouthful :-)

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your veggies look really healty and delicious :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>